[Help] Better way to clone cache SSD disk (clonezilla alternatives?)

• Hello all.

I am on OMV erasmus 3.0.89 and I need to upgrade my Samsung Pro 256GB SSD which I use as "cache/temp" disk (for incomplete deluge downloads, plex media files...) to a bigger Samsung 850 Pro 512GB one as I am reaching 99% of disk usage (plex video previsualizations, mostly)

I would like to ask which is the best/fastest way to clone the complete disk (256GB --> 512GB). I guess it is clonezilla, but I have a problem, I cannot get video output from my NAS in an easy way (no iGPU or IPMI), I would need to unmount all the componentes (including the drive cage and CPU heatsink) to install a temporary dedicated GPU card, and then reinstall everything again.

I am thinking of rsync the drives, that way I would clone the files/folders, but what about permissions and other data? Would it be a complete clone process?

If not, could I detach the SSD disk, connect both (SSD source and SSD destination) in my workstation PC, run clonezilla in a virtual machine by VMware and do the process there?

Thanks in advance.

omv 5.5.23-1 usul arm64

omv 5.5.23-1 usul x64

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jfromeo ()

• I did this recently and if you can use the shell and are familiar with basic Linux commands the quickest way I found was to plug in an external USB 3.0 HDD. Mount it and cp everything to it, then setup the new system and reverse the process.

I did this with 2.5TB of video files that I use to move over the network and would take hours or even days. The method I just described took 1 hour and 20 minutes.

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• I would just use clonezilla in the shell to copy the source drive to the target drive and automatically expand the target partition on the target drive. Just make sure you know exactly what you are doing because if you make a mistake with drive selection you can wipe out the wrong drive.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Re,

Cloning via shell is done with "dd" :D - but of course you need and free SATA-port for the new SSD ...
    Sc0rp

The problem with using dd for this is that when cloning a smaller source drive to a larger target drive, the size of the partiton on the target drive will be the same size as on the source drive.

In order to be able to use the remaining free space on the target drive, the partition and filesystem will have to be grown using other programs. Clonezilla does this for you, dd alone does not.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Re,

The problem with using dd for this is that when cloning a smaller source drive to a larger target drive, the size of the partiton on the target drive will be the same size as on the source drive.

Correct, but you can alter that later ... or you can use the additional space for a new or other partition ...

Sc0rp

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!