why do I get access to the share when connecting without any authentication?

• Hi,

I have set up my NAS with OMV 3.0 "Erasmus". It took me a long time to understand using the ACL's but now I have got it.
    All works fine, my Kids do not have access, I have full access, my wife is just able to read.

BUT

when I try to access a share ("MyShare") from a windows-machine by just typing "//nas/MyShare" at the addressbar in explorer i have full access to the share.

What is that about?

-I did not set any privileges, only used ACLs
    -at the ACLs I have denied access to user "nobody" and group "nogroup".

this is weird! When I try that from my Mac OsX it always asks me to authenticate with name/password. Windows does not ask, just presents the content of the share where I can manipulate all existing files.

Where did I made a mistake?

THX in advance!

• I have full access

Windows is using the logon credentials as user information if you connect to a share, as long as you do not enter a different user. If the Windows logon is identical to the one which you have defined in OMV, it is not necessary to enter username and pw while connection to a share.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• @cabrio_leo : the users in OMV are completely different like the windows user; so if windows takes the currently logged on user as "default" when connecting to the share, the authentication "MUST" fail because the user does not exist in OMV.
    THX for Ur reply!

• so if windows takes the currently logged on user as "default" when connecting to the share

Yes, always when you enter an UNC path (\\nas \myshare) in explorer.

If the Windows user doesn´t exist in OMV AND you do not set the share to "PUBLIC" then maybe it is a problem of interference between unix privileges and ACL.

I don´t use ACL because it makes things complicated. Normally access rights can be configured sufficiently with privileges it there are only less user.

There is a plugin available to reset access rights to the default.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• ... and sometimes it is simply neccessary to reboot the windows PC especially if a lot of connection tries with different users for the same share are done.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!