AFP and Bonjour

• Hello.
    Previously I was using Mac mini as my home server, but now I switched to diy OMV NAS. One of the wonderful things with Mac mini - I could access it anywhere, even when both Mac mini and client under NAT. As I know its because of Bonjour which makes something like tunnel so I can see all my Bonjour services through internet if my device is logged in iCloud.
    So.. is there any solution for OMV? AFP plugin works fine, but only in local network. I cant discover it and connect it via Internet. May be there is any plugin for Bonjour on OMV?
    Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No plugin for bonjour. I definitely would not use AFP directly over the internet. It is not secure enough and was not designed to be used that way. Install owncloud or another system designed to be internet facing. You could also setup a VPN.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Maybe its not designed, but it just works - I come to my work, open my Macbook and see my Mac mini in Finder. Both Macbook and Mac mini are under NAT and have no public ip. And I can transfer files, use RDP, etc...
    I know about VPN, but VPN also needs a server with real ip. I dont have real ip. The only way is to use something like Hamachi, but OMV doesnt support anything except OpenVPN. So, VPN - no way(

• Offizieller Beitrag

NAT only protects you from the internet. Not the connection between two NATs. You can samba over the internet but I wouldn't use either like that...

While I don't use VPN, I thought you could use VPN with a dynamic dns service? I use no-ip.com. As for support, OMV works with any VPN that works on Debian 6. There just isn't a plugin for anything other than OpenVPN. You can use the command line for other options.

Just curious but if OS X was working so well on the Mini, why switch to OMV? While OMV works well with OS X (I have a new mini myself), getting it to work definitely isn't as native as OS X.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• In my case services like no-ip.com or dyndns dont help. I have static ip, but all my devices are under provider's NAT with close ports, so I can't access my data or use RDP without any software like Hamachi/LogMeIn/TeamViewer/etc...
    VPN could solve all my problems, but I cant setup VPN between devices with no real ip. I need at least 1 machine with real ip, so I can connect to it. But I dont have it. The only way is to buy VDS server for building such VPN.

And why I changed Mini... I have a huge media library, Mini simple cant fit it) on other hand I have several HDD (from dead TimeCapsule, old PC, etc). I know I could just buy enclosure for them and connect them to Mini, but after comparing prices I decided that diy NAS will be cheaper and eat less energy. And maybe I just tired of "working-out-of-box" Macs and what some "LEGO for adults" like Debian :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, I'm guessing you home system and work system are on the same provider's NAT? Are there any ports open?

OMV does have avahi which is supposed to be the linux version of Bonjour. I don't know the difference between the two.

• No, different providers, unfortunately.
    Avahi is simular to Bonjour, but they will not work with each other)
    So, seems like I have to find VDS and build VPN or buy public ip.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does your work ISP give you a real IP?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I still can't figure out how even Bonjour works across two NAT'd ISPs without connecting to a third party server with a real IP.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not with an ISP that with no ports open and a NAT IP address on *both* ends. The only way I know to do that is with a man-in-the-middle server like hamachi, logmein, etc. People have to do stuff like this when they want to connect to one university from another university.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!