Slow transfer from Win10 to OMV using smb

• Hi there every one
    I'm a new member here and just had a few questions i thought would be good to ask here.

I have used OMV be for but only on a 100mbps router with no problems what so ever. Recently i have upgraded my home network with new routers so i have 1gbps ports all round.

The version of OMV i am running is 3.0.86 Erasmus and is installed on a ACER Extensa 4230 laptop hooked up via Ethernet to one of my linksys WRT-610n 1GB ports, and my windows 10 rig to one of the other 1GB ports on the same router.
    The ACER laptop has a 600gb 5400 sata 2 drive in it and has a gigabit Ethernet adapter im sure of it, same for the windows rig. i have a shared folder setup for the HDD using SMB, the trouble im having is im only getting 100mbps transfer from the windows rig to the OMV laptops hdd.

My thought on it was that i would be pushing somewhere between 500 to 1000mbps but no mater what i do i cant get it past 100mbps.
    Am i simply asking to much of this version of OMV ? or is there some form of setting i can set to change this.

Just to add , the WRT-610n that the lappy and pc are connected to links into a vlan port on a second WRT-610n as i use it as a DHCP server for my vlans. both routers run a 3rd party firmware called DD-WRT and i am almost 100% sure they they configured for 1gbps speeds.

I have seen similar post to mine but i couldn't find a solution.
    Any help would appreciated.

Cheerz
    Stephen :D

• i am almost 100% sure they they configured for 1GB speed

What about verifying this first? Grab iperf and jperf.exe and test at the network layer. If you're staying below 100Mbits/sec you know where to search for next. For local storage tests I would recommend iozone ('apt install iozone3') and for combined tests I would recommend Helios' LanTest (since eliminating the client side storage bottleneck often involved).

BTW: older 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives that are not entirely empty might be as slow as 40 MB/s due to using ZBR. I have a 60GB laptop drive here that does not even exceed 30MB/s on the inner tracks any more :)

• Only to be sure... With „ i cant get it past 100mbps“ you don‘t mean 100MB/s while copying files?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• What about verifying this first? Grab iperf and jperf.exe and test at the network layer. If you're staying below 100Mbits/sec you know where to search for next. For local storage tests I would recommend iozone ('apt install iozone3') and for combined tests I would recommend Helios' LanTest (since eliminating the client side storage bottleneck often involved).
    BTW: older 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives that are not entirely empty might be as slow as 40 MB/s due to using ZBR. I have a 60GB laptop drive here that does not even exceed 30MB/s on the inner tracks any more :)

thanks m8 for the speedy reply :D
    I was looking into doing some test on my network gear but just really did not know any tools for doing so. With iperf and iperf.exe, i am guessing that this requires two PC's one with client and one with server? Should i try using this say for example with two PC's on the router that i have the NAS and my win 10 rig wired into, but also do a test on the DHCP router with either both PC's on the vlan ports(i have three ports on the DHCP server configured to vlan#3) and try one PC on the DHCP router but the other on the router that i was planing to use for the NAS and my Main PC? .I realize that i am not going to be getting the full 1gbps speed just thought it would be reading and writing at speeds higher than 100mbps, it is also a pretty old drive say 6 to 8 years old so mabey that might be the cause aswell.

I will look into doing some tests with the software you provided and see how that goes. Also would there be any pro's from using a sata 3 6gb hdd on a sata 2 machine? was contemplating on mabey getting a larger drive but sata 3 being the most common and also having backwards compatibility.

Thank you Tkaiser for your help, tis much appreciated :D

Only to be sure... With „ i cant get it past 100mbps“ you don‘t mean 100MB/s while copying files?

Greetings Hoppel

Hi there Hoppel

i can clarify that it is indeed around 100mbps as im only seeing 11MB/s when windows 10 shows the transfer speeds on the files i have tried moving onto OMV.

Again thanks heaps lads, im not the upmost tech saveiest person but am learning along the way, just did a cert 3 in digital media and networking and will be going on to do a cert 4 in networking next year.

Cheerz Stephen :D

• Checked your cable type? only the CAT5e or beyond type could fully support the gigabyte network.

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Howdy Tame47

I did consider that as i was using a really small gauge 3m cable that did not say much on it about what type it was so i swapped it out for a cat5e 24awg 1.5m cable. Even then i still got the same speeds.

• @tkaiser

Just had a lil bit of trouble with iperf.

So i went to the iperf3 website and also had a quick look up on how to use it. i found that you have to use cmd and place the iperf3.exe in my user/muffs-pc folder but when i run cmd and enter iperf3.exe it comes up that cygwin1.dll is missing. i did have a little look in to how to resolve this isue but couldnt find much that was useful or that i was game enough to touch.

Surely you have come across this yeh, how did you fix the missing .dll?. tried on both my windows 10 rig and my 2008 server with same error.

Cheerz Stephen

• It seems i have fixed the problem, really early this morning i did some changes to OMV its self and then sorta passed out in my PC chair lol. thought i would just try it for old times sake and i can transfer to the nas around 60MB/s and from the NAS to my windows 10 rig at around 40MB/s.

What i did on OMV was go to physical disc tab, then select and edit the drive and then changed advanced power management to 254 maximum performance, maximum power usage but i also enabled write-cache

Thanks a bunch for the help guys, this is a great community and i felt 100% welcomed into it.

:D^^:D^^:D^^:D

• What i did on OMV was go to physical disc tab, then select and edit the drive and then changed advanced power management to 254 maximum performance, maximum power usage but i also enabled write-cache

I am very upset with this same defect on my OMV 4...

I have HDD 2 Tb (hardware raid 1) datastore connected to ESXi 6.5.
    ESXi hosts 2 guest OS: Windows 2016 and OMV 4.0.12-1.

I have greate download speed from Windows-share to PC over gigabit network - 80-100 Mb/sec.

I am useing OMV to backup files from Windows-share to OMV shared folder, .

But the trouble is - i have got zero "0" speed when i trying to download anything from my OMV-share (located on the SAME datastore as Windows)... the download not even starts...

I have changed "advanced power management to 254 maximum performance, maximum power usage and enabled write-cache"- reboot OMV - but nothing changed (

• What i did on OMV was go to physical disc tab, then select and edit the drive and then changed advanced power management to 254 maximum performance, maximum power usage but i also enabled write-cache

I am very upset with this same defect on my OMV 4...

I have HDD 2 Tb (hardware raid 1) datastore connected to ESXi 6.5.
    ESXi hosts 2 guest OS: Windows 2016 and OMV 4.0.12-1.

I have greate download speed from Windows-share to PC over gigabit network - 80-100 Mb/sec.

I am useing OMV to backup files from Windows-share to OMV shared folder, .

But the trouble is - i have got zero "0" speed when i trying to download anything from my OMV-share (located on the SAME datastore as Windows)... the download not even starts...

I have changed "advanced power management to 254 maximum performance, maximum power usage and enabled write-cache"- reboot OMV - but nothing changed (

• Howdy Imn

That is quite strange and i cant say i have had that happen to me. I am not 100% sure that what i did was the sole cause of my problem or it could have just been a good reboot of my network. Seems to me there is something really different about your problem, have you tried making a thread?? maybe someone here has had a similar problem, a good read over the SMB forum could help you.

Sorry i could help much, i am still a bit new to the whole NAS scene.

cheerz Stephen

• I had never see this issues.. My nas can be from 112Mbps/sec to 115Mbps/sec on gigabit.. If you have OMV on SSD and enable the SSD and reset hard-drive should not enable the cache... Also be sure have 8GB RAM or better.. Intel Core2 Quad 2ghz or better. The MORE CPU threading the better get and also RAM, Cache..

ATGPUD2003

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!