Mirror, no drives listed

• So I've added 2 3TB WD Reds, formatted to ext4 and mounted them. But when I come to setup a mirror no drives are listed, not even the OS drive.

Any help would be great as I can't figure out why they would not be listed.

• Are they listed under Physical Disks tab ?

OMV 3.0.90 (Erasmus) IBM/Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 - Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1225 v3
    8M Cache, 3.20 GHz (Quad Core). 32GB PNY Dual Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory. PNY CS1311 120GB SSD on OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SSD. 2, 4 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds 2, 8 Terrabyte Western Digital Reds. Intel Gigabyte LAN.

• Thank you, and yes I'm easy and will try a ZFS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I've added 2 3TB WD Reds, formatted to ext4 and mounted them. But when I come to setup a mirror no drives are listed, not even the OS drive.

Any help would be great as I can't figure out why they would not be listed.

I think you got it out of order. The RAID management window does not display drives with a file system on them.

First, for your 2 WD Reds, un-mount and delete the files systems.

1. Wipe the drives
    2. Setup a raid mirror (use Mirror - if using Storage, RAID Management)
    3. Then format the mirror with EXT4 (Use Create and Select the RAID device)
    4. Mount

Since you have two drives ready to go, and if you're running OMV3.X can I talk you into a ZFS mirror? :) With file scrubbing and self healing, you'd be better off.

If you have omvextras installed, there's a plugin to setup ZFS in the GUI setup. If you're interested, I can provide details.

• Thank you, and yes I'm easy and will try a ZFS.

• When I say I've installed ZFS, the plugin is currenlty installing but with errors.

Code
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/spl_config.h': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/module/Module.symvers': No such file or directory
    • Offizieller Beitrag

When I say I've installed ZFS, the plugin is currenlty installing but with errors.

Code
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/spl_config.h': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.5.9/build/module/Module.symvers': No such file or directory

Crappers.

Remove the ZFS plugin.
    On the command line do the following:

Code
    apt-get clean
    apt-get update

Then install it again.

You are running OMV 3.0.X right?

• Crappers.
    Remove the ZFS plugin.
    On the command line do the following:

Code
    apt-get clean
    apt-get update

Then install it again.

You are running OMV 3.0.X right?

Yes, thing is it did actually install and I have a ZFS mirror setup and running. Even got my first folder added and shared via SMB/CIFS, just need to figure out why my Windows PC can't see the server of share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK! Well, you got a bit ahead of where I thought you'd be. Delete your SMB share, and the underlaying share first.

You'll need to do the following, or your base permissions will be like those on a Solaris server. (You want Linux permissions.) It's easier to do this from the command line, versus editing your mirror in the GUI.

On the command line: In the following, yourpoolname = whatever you named the pool. (Use notepad or something so you can copy and paste it in.)

Code
    zfs set aclinherit=passthrough yourpoolname
    zfs set acltype=posixacl yourpoolname
    zfs set xattr=sa yourpoolname
    zfs set compression=lz4 yourpoolname

After the above is set, then you can go back to setting the shared folder, then layer an SMB share on top of it.

In permissions for your new Share folder, give "Others" "Read/Write/Exec"
    Then, in the SMB share, In Public set Guests Allowed and unset "Read Only". (If it's green, make it grey or off)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, after you edit the pools, it might be best if you reboot with the new attributes set, before setting up shares. (It might not be required, I'm trying to remember when I did it the last time, but it wouldn't hurt anything.)

Also, Windows is kind of weird in that way too. If you have your new SMB share on your network, it might be best to either log off and on, or reboot the Windows Client.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry,, we're doing this in real time and it was a typo. I revised it, but not in time.

zfs set xattr=sa yourpoolname

(FYI: ZFS1 is the name of my pool)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you're pretty much on the right track.

Last Notes: (Going to watch a show with the wife)

The GUI sets data scrubs for your pool automatically so you won't have to configure scrub jobs. (Google ZFS scrub to understand what it is.)

If you want to see the status of your pool, it's available in the GUI. In ZFS, click on your pool name and on the right hand side, click on details.

There's a lot of info on the net regarding ZFS. Find a ZFS primer and look it over, when you get the time.

Finally note that ZFS, or any other form of RAID, is not BACKUP. Get something to backup with, even if it's an external drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!