New install on Gigabyte NUC, need advice

• Hello all, so i have a GIGABYTE NUC Mini Computer - Dual Core Intel 1.58ghz 160GB HDD + 4GB RAM that i bought from ebay, should arrive thursday . Along with this i also went for 8gb ram. The NUC currently has no OS installed so i need guidance installing OMV in this system. I keep coming up with links where people have issues with the onboard ethernet card on various systems. Should i expect to have issues as well? Aside from the OMV image what else would i need to have a successful install? How can i get ethernet port to work if indeed is not working upon first install?. Im currently using OMV on a raspberry pi 2 with two external drives so i want to replace this with the NUC. Please note i have no experience in Linux. Thanks and look forward to your suggestions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try the latest OMV 3.x ISO and if it doesn't work, then we will come up with other ideas. Until then, I would guess it would work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would try the latest OMV 3.x ISO and if it doesn't work, then we will come up with other ideas. Until then, I would guess it would work.

I already have OMV 3.x ISO setup on a flash drive. So basically plug it in to the NUC, turn it on and go from there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. Just make sure it is the latest version. Earlier versions use the 3.16 kernel which may not have driver support you need.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

perfect.

• so i was able to install the system no problems and was able access it via the web browser. Went and set it up close to the router and drives, connected it but it doesnt come up on the network. This is in the hall. Took it back to the kitchen, where it was first set up, connected it to the power line adapter for network access, connected the tv, booted the system and it is recognized on the network. Went back to the hall and connected it to the router (no tv monitor) and nothing, recognized on the network. Took it one more time to the kitchen, connected once again to power line adapter and tv and it connects to network. Did a test where i did not plug the tv, and it does not come up on the network.

So im assuming it wont connect unless a monitor is physically connected. Any ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

So im assuming it wont connect unless a monitor is physically connected. Any ideas?

This isn't an OMV problem. Some motherboards/systems/whatever won't boot if certain peripherals (monitor, mouse, and/or keyboard) aren't plugged in. Sometimes there is a bios setting to ignore errors from these devices. Other times, you have to create dummy plugs to make the system think they are still plugged in. I haven't seen a system that won't stay running if you start it up with things plugged in and then unplug them.

• This isn't an OMV problem. Some motherboards/systems/whatever won't boot if certain peripherals (monitor, mouse, and/or keyboard) aren't plugged in. Sometimes there is a bios setting to ignore errors from these devices. Other times, you have to create dummy plugs to make the system think they are still plugged in. I haven't seen a system that won't stay running if you start it up with things plugged in and then unplug them.

Well after 3 hours of tinkering with it i finally fix it. I just followed the instructions here

http://michael-peeters.blogspo…ver-1510-on-gigabyte.html

That seems to have done it, although to be fair it took me a long time to figure out how to get to the proper menu and then after that how to save the changes. Doesn't help when i have no clue how to use linux or its command line.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!