Is there a way to require a password on writes?

• Is there a way to view files on my network drive as normally done after entering a user/password, but then require another password in order to write to any files?
    I'm not really familiar enough with the ins and outs of windows and linux security to know if this even possible.

• Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid of.
    I'm currently looking into getting away from window's "use an admin account for everything" and I began questioning the status of my NAS. My network drive is always available to my desktop (whitelisted router IP), and while I read things from it fairly frequently, but I don't do much that requires writes, so I'd rather not leave that open when I don't have to, as anything that got onto my desktop would be able to screw around with my nas as well. Was curious if there was a way to temporarily elevate permissions.

That said, I can't actually lose anything, due to my incremental, and disconnected backups, but I'd rather not have to try and restore all that were it to come to that.

Is there a way to do then when using linux as an accessing OS (using NFS)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

so I'd rather not leave that open when I don't have to, as anything that got onto my desktop would be able to screw around with my nas as well. Was curious if there was a way to temporarily elevate permissions.

Put password in your pc, and make it lock after inactivity and don't make windows remember the credentials. Basic security measures

Is there a way to do then when using linux as an accessing OS (using NFS)?

No, NFs is worst doesn't have any security, unless the nfs server is linked against a ticketing kerberos server which is way above a new linux user.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!