Smart Errors on backup system

• I just noticed some bad sectors on my offsite drive. This is the drive I am backing my data on to. I have this computer at my brothers place and I guess it was not turned off properly a couple of times. I am not sure how to proceed on mitigating this. Can I get the status back to no issues by marking the bad sectors, If so how do I do this? Or would you guys recommend replacing the drive entirely?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Thanks, I am running ext4 as file system

• Part 2

then there is more of the same...
    Error 514 [9] occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4964 hours (206 days + 20 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

• I am running ext4 as file system

That's sad. With better filesystems you could run a scrub and that would tell you whether data has already been corrupted or not. But the SMART data is not bad, it's just this here what led to overall SMART status being displayed red:

Code
    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   200   200   140    -    1

This has already happened, there are no pending sectors so don't panic (especially since it's a backup disk). And with incapable filesystems it's always rather useless to look at SMART attributes (device layer) anyway if you want to know what happened to your data (filesystem layer). Usually it's either false positives or already too late when looking at SMART attributes only.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!