Advice re: file System????

• Hi all,

I am new to OMV and would like some advice as to what file system to use that includes data protection and time snapshots.
    My understanding is zfs and btrfs both achieve this and are also available in OMV.

I have read numerous post regarding both file system and it appears as both have there pros and cons working within OMV. @tkaiser appears to be very knowledgeable regarding "file systems" and any advice would be really appreciated.

The system is a hp micro server gen 8 Xeon with 8gb ram. OMV is installed on a corsair voyager gtx usb ssd drive that boots fine. I have 3x 4tb hdd's (zfs or btrfs raid) and 1x 8tb hdd that wanted to use as a backup solution possibly rsnapshot? ?(
    I intend to install packages - plex, docker and nextcloud.

Any advice would be appreciated as to the best utilize the system.

Thanks in advance Andy :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

what file system to use that includes data protection and time snapshots.

There are quite a few ways to do this. You can do snapshots at the block level (lvm), filesystem level (zfs, brtfs), file level (rsnapshot). You can also do data protection at the filesystem level (zfs, btrfs) and file level (snapraid).

It would be helpful to know why you want snapshots? Personally, I use ext4 with rsnapshot with plenty of backup.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron thanks for the reply. The reason i wanted snapshots rightfully or wrongfully was down to the fact I was infected by ransomware not so long ago. The ransomeware encrypted all my backups and deleted all restore points as it was a share (network map) to my synology nas. Just trying to get a solution which is pretty much set and forget knowing if the same happened again I would at least be able to recover my files worst case scenario. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That helps. I think you should start with a similar setup to what I use. I pool three 4 tb drives formatted ext4 with the unionfilesystems plugin (mergerfs) and rsnapshot the shares in that pool to an 8tb drive.

If a 4tb drive fails, you would only need to recover those files from backup and the other two drives would be accessible. No raid to worry about.

There are no shared folders on the 8tb drive that are shared via samba or nfs. If spyware was to encrypt the shares, I would have hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshots on that should be ok even if I somehow didn't notice for a while. The snapshots of rsnapshot are browseable as well for easy partial or full recovery from a particular snapshot.

I will mention that I don't consider this a complete setup. I also sync my main server to a second server, have an offline 8tb drive that gets sync'd occasionally and even LTO tape backup.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!