Mount disk error (Newbie here)

• Hi all,
    I apologize if this has been asked and/or answered before. I am new to OMV as well as use of Raspberry PI, I am trying to create a NAS because i'm tired of connecting hard drives to my laptops to move files over to another laptop. I have followed all the steps I can from what I have found, but I am encountering this error when trying to mount the disk.

using Raspberry Pi 3
    I had downloaded the latest version of OMV for it last night
    I have formatted my 32GB microSD card to FAT32
    I am using a 1TB external hard drive with no separate external power source aside from USB connection (formatted in exFAT)
    I then inserted the micro SD, connected ethernet, and external then powered up and went through boot and obtained IP address

Next, I added a user and then went to mount the disk, and now this is where I stand

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda1' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

I'm not sure really where to go from here.....any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not opposed to starting from scratch either.
    Thank you in advance.

Here are the full details of the error

Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda1' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/filesystem.inc(715): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/fstab.inc(72): OMV\System\Filesystem\Filesystem->mount()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleFsTab->startService()
    #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(857): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->mount(Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('mount', Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'mount', Array, Array, 1)
    #11 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

Next, I added a user and then went to mount the disk, and now this is where I stand

Did you mount the drive from CLI?

Should be done from the GUI.

Have a look at these Videos:
    OMV Setup Videos

• unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

Might require an

Code
    sudo apt install exfat-fuse

and is a bad idea anyway. Better use 'native' Linux filesystems like ext4 or btrfs for data shares. Everything where FUSE is involved means massive slowdown (not that important on Raspberries since they're already the slowest choice possible for a NAS due to 100 Mbits/sec Ethernet only) and high CPU utilization.

• Offizieller Beitrag

exfat isn't supported in the OMV web interface. This basically means you can't use it for data.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Great recipe for all sorts of troubles and even data loss with Raspberries. Check here for 'max_usb_current=1' and 'raspimon'.

Do you have an alternate suggestion over Raspberry Pi being used as an NAS? I even tried using my Netgear router by connecting an external drive to that following the instruction that they have on their site, but even though it recognizes the drive, it's not letting me use it as an NAS for whatever reason.

• Do you have an alternate suggestion over Raspberry Pi being used as an NAS?

Everything is better than a Raspberry Pi. These things are that horribly crippled with their 'single USB2 port' limitation that the NAS use case is just bizarre.

Check the links around this post here: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

for whatever reason the drive ins't letting me format it to FAT32 on my MAC

Since your Mac tried to prevent you from running into troubles (preventing everything above 32GB from being formatted as FAT32 since filesystem and partition support with older Windows versions is such a sh*t show). And you really should stop trying to use those Microsoft filesystems for OMV shares. Use native fs instead.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!