Old thread new: Stucked to English WebGUI

• Hi Folks,

at company, where we still run OMV 2, there is no problem with WebGUI login screen. It's coming up with former selected language (german) always.
    Only at home, where I run an OMV 3 and a new OMV 4 (as a backup server), after I closed an reopend my browser (firefox) for any reason, I always must select right language again.

Is there any screw in OMV 3/4 to trim this?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• No, this is not the reason.

I just tried it out - and not even got the default englisch login, but 'Select a language'.

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Btw: At company all our browser are set to delete cookies on close by default. And OMV 2 can managed this nevertheless.

• The language setting is stored in a cookie.

@votdev I have a (small) change request on this behavior. If the cookie is deleted it is necessary to select a language in the selection box the next time. Could it be changed to autoselect a default language (English) if no cookie was found by OMV? (BTW: My browser deletes all cookies when it is closed. And I didn´t find a solution to exclude the OMV cookie)

I feel it quite annoying to be forced to select a language, then wait a little bit for the page refresh until username and pw can be entered finally.

For my personal oppinion the language selection could be removed completely from the login box. I do not know any other (NAS) solution or any other system which allows or rather forces this. Normally for login only username and pw is necessary. The language setting then can be changed within the gui. This should be sufficient enough.

Sometimes it is the little things that produce the big results :)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

For my personal oppinion the language selection could be removed completely from the login box. I do not know any other (NAS) solution or any other system which allows or rather forces this. Normally for login only username and pw is necessary. The language setting then can be changed within the gui. This should be sufficient enough.

This does not mean that OMV must do the same.

I would like to have the language selection in the login screen because some users want to see that login dialog in their native language, too.

• This does not mean that OMV must do the same.

Yes, of course, there is always a reason while things are done as they are :)

It is set to 'en' by default,

Ok. Maybe I have not expressed myself clearly. I would find it very pleasing if in that case the language selection box would be pre-filled with "English". With 3.0.xx it´s just empty.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. Maybe I have not expressed myself clearly. I would find it very pleasing if in that case the language selection box would be pre-filled with "English". With 3.0.xx it´s just empty.

'en' is the shortcut for the 'English' language selection. The OMV3 and OMV4 are the same in this case, so by default the 'English' language is selected. I never realized that the language box was not pre-selected if no cookie exists.

• Well, firefox not always seems to do things quite asap...

What I did on yesterday was:
    - set ff to "keep cookies",
    - logged into omv with language set to "german",
    - closed ff and after some seconds reopened it,
    - found omv login asking for language,
    - wrote my last replies,
    - reset ff to delete cookies at closing,
    - finished my session an shut down my pc.

After I powered up pc today and opened ff again, I found omv login in german as wanted. Looking at the cookies, there now is the one for omv language to be kept for one year.

Thanks for help, even if it did not work as quick as expected.

Best regards

• I had to update my previous comment. If no cookie is set, the browser is asked for the prefered language, see github.com/openmediavault/open…t/js/omv/util/i18n.js#L34. Only if that does not happen the default language is 'English'.

@votdev I have to apologize. It is exactly as you have described it here.

I never realized that the language box was not pre-selected if no cookie exists.

This only happens with an old Windows XP machine. If no cookie exists, "Select a language..." is displayed. With newer Windows Versions (tested with Win 7 Pro) it is, as you have explained it.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• ..If no cookie is set, the browser is asked for the prefered language..

Could you please make default english? For OMV webgui i'm using chromium in incognito mode, so everytime i'm forced to choose language (and after this entered credentials are wiped out). This is extremely annoying.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!