Filesystem After replacing Hard Drive with Operating System

• It's been a couple years since I set up my system.

My system is a backup to my NAS system that is on a different computer on my network. I had a small drive with the OMV on it and 4 additional HD for storage. I believe I had it set up as linear, basically one large drive that I expanded on by adding a HD as needed.
    For the life of me I can't remember how I did it, but they where all added together and then I had my backup folder, named backup. Somehow I merged them into one large drive and then my backup folder referenced the combined drives.

Well come to find out my HD with OMV died and no backup was being done. I unplugged all my drives, installed a new HD and installed OMV onto it, 3.0.93 Erasmus, I had the version before it on the old HD. I then plugged in my hard drives with my backup files and in the GUI it found the drives. In file system I have them mounted, it says ext4,

I made a shared folder and named it the same as before but when I picked a drive, I have all of them to choose from because they aren't combined, but I had them numbered from before, so I choose the first one.

I turned on SMB so my network would detect it. Through a windows PC I am able to find the "backup" folder and all my files are there. I have my mediacenter save each drive as it's own folder.

I also created a user and through windows I can edit the folders and add to them.

I guess my question is, how is it working still and in the future can I still add another hard drive and increase the over all size since I don't have a hard drive pool set up.
    Or if I can't add to it, how do I pool the HD together? When I go into RAID none of the hard drives appear.

I hope my rambling makes sense. Thanks!

• It sounds like you are looking for the UnionFileystems plugin, which allows you to create a mergerFS pool. There used to be other options, like aufs, greyhole, etc., for pooling, but mergerFS is the best game in town now. You install it as a plugin from the omv-extras repo, configure it very easily through the GUI (although you may want to read up about the different write policies) and you're all set. Each time you add a new disk to your system, you just add it to the pool as well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!