Suggestions for a new NAS, built from scratch.

• This is more of a theoretical question than a practical one but I was just wondering what hardware people would suggest if I were to rebuild my NAS from scratch.

My criteria:

1. Room for an SSD and three 3.5" hard drives.
    2. Room for three TV tuners (two PCIe and the other, PCI).
    3. Quite and efficient.
    4. Nothing too overly power - would be used for home automation, recording/streaming TV, home surveillance.

What parts would you use?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since you need three slots, that means micro-atx or bigger. I would guess just about any micro-atx or bigger case can handle three 3.5" drives and an ssd.

Cases with 120mm fans (or bigger) are going to be more quiet than cases with smaller fans. Same applies to power supplies. Get a gold or platinum efficiency power supply.

The fact you may be recording quite a few streams from TV tuners and home surveillance tells me you need probably a quad core cpu. Personally I would use an i5. The newer the cpu, the more efficient.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for that.

Here are the specs of my current build:

G1840
    MSI B85M-E45
    12GB DDR3 (2x4GB and 2x2GB)
    1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD
    2 x 2TB Samsung F4 Harddrives
    1 x 6TB WD Red Harddrive
    Tuners - 1 x Hauppauge Nova HDS2, 2 x TechnoTrend TT-budget S2-4200
    Superflower Golden Green 350w PSU (Gold Rating)
    Xigmatek Midgard Tower with 1 x 120mm exhaust fan and 1 x 140mm intake fan

I have seen lots of other threads on here, where people have built servers based upon ARM Mini PCs. Whilst I would love to do something like that, I think that the number of tuners and hard drives I have has pretty much ruled that out for me.

I was therefore wondering what changes I could make to the above to make it as quiet and power efficient as possible (as it will always be on), for example:

1. Replacing the motherboard and CPU with a later generation board with integrated passive CPU.

2. Removing the 2 x 2GB sticks - is any more than 8GB really needed?

3. Buying a smaller case and using a single exhaust fan only.

4. Replacing the PSU with a silent and more efficient PICO power supply.

What do you think?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Replacing the motherboard and CPU with a later generation board with integrated passive CPU.

That would help especially since you currently have a 53W cpu.

Removing the 2 x 2GB sticks - is any more than 8GB really needed?

I guess one stick would use a little less power but you lose speed since you don't have dual channel memory anymore.

Buying a smaller case and using a single exhaust fan only.

You don't need a smaller case to do that.

Replacing the PSU with a silent and more efficient PICO power supply.

You have a gold power supply now. You wouldn't gain that much going to the PICO. Those things generate a lot of heat as well.

• Thanks for that.

Sorry - with regards to the RAM, I currently have 12GB, spread over 4 sticks (4 x 4GB and 2 x 2GB). I intended to remove the 2 x 2GB sticks, to leave me with 8GB - I assume that 12GB was overkill to begin with.

It is very encouraging that you think a mobo/CPU is the way to go - now all I need to do is find one that has at least 4 Sata ports, a PCI slot and two PCIe slots - a tall order but it must exist out there.

Thanks also for reassuring me that the case/fans/PSU are fine as they are.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume that 12GB was overkill to begin with.

It might be but I don't know how much ram is used when recording from the tuners.

It is very encouraging that you think a mobo/CPU is the way to go - now all I need to do is find one that has at least 4 Sata ports, a PCI slot and two PCIe slots - a tall order but it must exist out there.

The board really isn't the issue. The cpu is the big issue. Just look for a lower wattage cpu.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!