WIFI USB key not working

• Hello!
    I have installed OMV on my thin client HP T5720.

The version is:
    cat /proc/version: Linux version 3.16.0-4-686-pae SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u1

I have plugged an USB WIFI key on it.
    lsusb: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2357:0109 a TPLINK TL-WN823N

But no wifi interface seen with iwlist scan: lo & eth0.

I have read several posts on wifi usb key with OMV. Install with realtek FW. But no resolution.

Can somebody give me a way to make it work? Thanks!

PS: I was a Unix user 15 years ago. So I have a knowledge of Linux commands. But with some limitations...

• I have read several posts on wifi usb key with OMV

But you should better read posts on 'wifi usb key with Debian' since this is not related to OMV at all. You need drivers and firmware so better search for kernel version (since most probably you want not an 'out-of-tree' driver but something the standard kernel provides) together with USB vendor and product ID. Quick google search came up with 2357:0109 being supported starting with kernel 4.10 (rtl8xxxu module).

No idea whether you get there since currently you're using an 686 Debian (at least with amd64 and backports kernel you would get an 4.13 kernel that should support this dongle out of the box).

• Hello,

Thank you for your answer.
    I have an old Debian because my thin client has an AMD Geode Nx1500 (32 bits).

I have read some Debian howto's, but it is not working. My knowledge in Linux/Debian is limited but I will progress! It is a question of time...

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x with rtl8192cu

The following list is based on the alias fields of modinfo rtl8192cu in Debian 3.16 (3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1) kernel images.

USB: 2357:0100 (Vendor name unknown) (Device name unknown)lsusb: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2357:0109 a TPLINK TL-WN823N

I have installed this package with
    # apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-realtek

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-realtek

My problem is that I have installed a REALTEK package following this How To, but It is not working and I don't know why.

Thank you!

Phil

• rtl8192cu

While being better than single antenna Wi-Fi dongles due to 2x2 MIMO this still can just be described as lower low-end. If you happen to live in an urban area the 'performance' you can get with such a thing depends more or less only on your neighbours (in my area it started ~2 years ago that 2.4 GHz band became completely unusable in the evening hours and on the weekends).

I consider dongles based on RTL8812AU (dual antenna, dual band, 802.11ac, starting at 15 bucks) being minimum requirement for OMV (and you will only be happy using the 5GHz band) but as usual 'cheap RealTek' is a synonym for driver hassles (I'm using these things only with ARM boards and it was a very long journey to find a really suitable driver we -- Armbian team -- now incorporated in most kernels for the boards we support).

In other words: I can't help you getting this thing to work, just trying to save you from wasting your time :)

• Hello,

I am aware of that, and I am sure the ethernet link is better than wifi link for a NAS application.
    But this configuration help me to learn and understand the Debian system, by using inline commands I have forgotten. And I am obstinate!

Thank you!

Phil

• this configuration help me to learn and understand the Debian system

It's still more about driver and firmware issues. And for others being able to really help syslog/dmesg output when inserting the dongle would be needed. But as already said: it's just a waste of time trying to get such an 2.4GHz only dongle combined with OMV :)

If you don't find a distro kernel the dongle works out of the box with then good luck (search for 'out of tree' driver, dkms, patching in vendor/product id since there are cases where a driver is available but missing the USB IDs to take care of the product you bought)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!