Add drives to an existing array, then extend the existing partition/file system?

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• daveinfla wrote:

I just created my pool named pool1, are you implying that the mount point should be /srv/pool1 vs the default /pool1 ?
      By default, with other file systems like EXT4, OMV sets a drive path to /srv/disk-by-label-NAME.
      (It looks something like this: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SG3TB)

If you don't specify the path, your pool will be set at the root of the boot drive. (I.E. /pool1) That's where my pool is, /ZFS1. There's no right or wrong here. You can go either way.
      Don't forget the changes for permissions previously mentioned. Apply them before copying data into the pool.

There's two ways to divide up your pool after it's created. You can create standard folders or you can create ZFS filesystems which is easy in the GUI. (In this case a "ZFS filesystem" is the equivalent of a parent folder.) The advantages of a ZFS filesystem over a standard directory is, the size of the data set is shown in the GUI (noted below), you can assign custom ZFS properties to it (and see those properties in Details), and separate snapshots can be taken of each fliesystem.
      (I'm starting to get up to speed on snapshots - really good stuff.)

The process to create filesystems is:
      Click on the Pool, click on Add Object, the Name field in the dialog box will be the name of the new folder/filesystem, (leave the mount point blank!) and Save.

So what did you decide on, mirror(s), raidz1, etc., ?
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• I guess I was looking for what best practices would be. If I don't plan on using any other file systems (Im using ZFS why would I?), is there any downside to putting it in the root?

I think we covered this before but in the above reference screenshot, doesn't what your calling a file system equate to basically a folder? One that you can set different attributes on?

I have Qty. 5 3TB drives in the system, I'm going to use raidz1. I have a 6th drive as a cold spare.

Pretty? It runs silent and cool...

• daveinfla wrote:

I guess I was looking for what best practices would be. If I don't plan on using any other file systems (Im using ZFS why would I?), is there any downside to putting it in the root?
      There's no downside that I know of. My pool is on the root. I prefer it there to simplify permissions. (A long string of folders can complicate things unnecessarily.)

daveinfla wrote:

I think we covered this before but in the above reference screenshot, doesn't what your calling a file system equate to basically a folder? One that you can set different attributes on?
      Exactly right. Their function is identical to include permissions, but a "filesystem" can be assigned custom ZFS properties. (And there's the detail that's available in the GUI as well.) The screen shot I supplied showing filesystems is from a VM. On my server, I have standard folders created on the CLI. I'm giving thought to converting to ZFS filesystem's to be able to take better advantage of snapshots. (As I learn more about automated self purging snapshots, well, there's nothing not to like.)

daveinfla wrote:

I have Qty. 5 3TB drives in the system, I'm going to use raidz1. I have a 6th drive as a cold spare.
      Pretty? It runs silent and cool...

It looks great! You even have good cable management. And a cold spare,, I take it you've been around a data center before. It's a good idea. Now about full backup... :)
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing