Can't start virtualbox on omv3

• Hello guys,

Sorry to "duplicate" the post but I read everything on the forum and nothing worked.
    I just did a fresh install of OMV3 and installed the official virtualbox pluggin from the omv-extras repository and it fails to start...

I tried everything with bpo3 kernel and bpo4 ... (of course reinstalling virtualbox each time and reboot) and it does not work.

Last post on this is from march, am I the only one having issues since then? I don't believe it! will I have to install OMV2 again?

The current status is: I removed everything (purge, etc..) and set up the bpo4 kernel waiting instructions from someone cause everything I tested didn't work.

Thanks...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have the linux-headers installed that match the kernel? It will try to compile the module for each kernel installed as well. So, remove other kernels.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Do you have the linux-headers installed that match the kernel? It will try to compile the module for each kernel installed as well. So, remove other kernels.

Hello @ryecoaaron,

I have the classical omv3 install from scratch. See headers in snapshot above. Please advise, I wanted this working today, arf!, I promised a service... :(

root@omv:~# apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 is already the newest version.
    linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    root@omv:~#

Sorry about the other post, I realized it was "resolved" so decided to open a new one...

• Offizieller Beitrag

From your image, you still have the 3.2 kernel installed. If you don't have the headers installed for that kernel as well, the compile job will fail. I would remove all but one kernel and purge the virtualbox packages. Then reinstall.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• From your image, you still have the 3.2 kernel installed. If you don't have the headers installed for that kernel as well, the compile job will fail. I would remove all but one kernel and purge the virtualbox packages. Then reinstall.

could you be so kind share with me the commands I should tape? I will do it right now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I need some output first.

dpkg -l | grep -E "linux|virtualbox"

• I need some output first.

dpkg -l | grep -E "linux|virtualbox"

Here you have:

root@omv:~# dpkg -l | grep -E "linux|virtualbox"
    ii console-setup-linux 1.123 all Linux specific part of console-setup
    ii firmware-linux 20161130-3~bpo8+1 all Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package)
    ii firmware-linux-free 3.3 all Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
    ii firmware-linux-nonfree 20161130-3~bpo8+1 all Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package)
    ii libselinux1:amd64 2.3-2 amd64 SELinux runtime shared libraries
    ii linux-base 4.3~bpo8+1 all Linux image base package
    ii linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1 amd64 Compiler for Linux on x86 (meta-package)
    ii linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1 amd64 Header files for Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    ii linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-common 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1 all Common header files for Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.4
    ii linux-headers-amd64 4.9+80+deb9u2~bpo8+1 amd64 Header files for Linux amd64 configuration (meta-package)
    ii linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 4.9.30-2+deb9u5~bpo8+1 amd64 Linux 4.9 for 64-bit PCs
    ii linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1 amd64 Linux 4.9 for 64-bit PCs
    ii linux-image-amd64 4.9+80+deb9u2~bpo8+1 amd64 Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
    ii linux-kbuild-4.9 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1 amd64 Kbuild infrastructure for Linux 4.9
    ii linux-libc-dev:amd64 3.16.43-2+deb8u5 amd64 Linux support headers for userspace development
    ii openmediavault-virtualbox 3.0.8 all VirtualBox plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii phpvirtualbox 5.0-5-2 all Web interface for VirtualBox.
    ii util-linux 2.25.2-6 amd64 Miscellaneous system utilities
    ii virtualbox 5.1.26-dfsg-2 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
    ii virtualbox-dkms 5.1.26-dfsg-2 all x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
    ii virtualbox-ext-pack-installer 5.1.26 all VirtualBox extension pack installer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt-get purge linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 openmediavault-virtualbox phpvirtualbox virtualbox virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-ext-pack-installer
    rm -f /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox /etc/default/virtualbox
    userdel vbox

Then reinstall the plugin

• apt-get purge linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 openmediavault-virtualbox phpvirtualbox virtualbox virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-ext-pack-installer
    rm -f /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox /etc/default/virtualbox
    userdel vbox

Then reinstall the plugin

Well...that's new....
    Here is what I have now... do you know how to solve it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably a permissions issue on your folder that VMs are stored in. chown -R vbox /path/to/VM/folder should help

• Probably a permissions issue on your folder that VMs are stored in. chown -R vbox /path/to/VM/folder should help

No... this seems ok.
    Below the config of the whole chain:

Code
    root@omv:/srv# ls -rtla
    total 28
    drwxrwsr-x 13 siulman users 4096 Dec 2 21:36 dev-disk-by-label-Media
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Dec 4 07:56 dev-disk-by-label-Backup
    drwxrws---+ 5 siulman users 4096 Dec 4 07:59 dev-disk-by-label-Data
    drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp nogroup 4096 Dec 5 09:20 ftp
    drwxrwsr-x 3 vbox vboxusers 4096 Dec 5 11:03 dev-disk-by-label-VM

• Hey @ryecoaaron,

that was probably due to the chrome cache because I had the same @IP in OMV2. Ctr + shift + r refreshed it.

But still, after entering my credentials I got this:

After clicking OK it is spinning over and over and never stops:

But then...tested with another browser and it's ok so again...probably some cache thing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No... this seems ok.

You are looking at the wrong output... The output you pasted is the mount point for the filesystem and should not be owned by vbox. You need to check the subfolders.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But still, after entering my credentials I got this:

I have posted about the old version of phpvirtualbox many, many times. That is just a warning. There is no newer version of phpvirtualbox.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would reboot just to get the services in the proper state.

• @ryecoaaron,

thank you very much for your help today. Appreciated. Windows is now installing under virtualbox. Is there anything I should remove the have a clean baseline before doing my clonezilla backup? Like removing the heads of 3.2.0.4 kernel?
    Will I have issues with virtualbox when updating my system/pluggins through GUI in the future?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there anything I should remove the have a clean baseline before doing my clonezilla backup? Like removing the heads of 3.2.0.4 kernel?

If the kernel isn't installed, then you don't need the headers. You shouldn't have a lot of extra packages if this is a fresh install.

Will I have issues with virtualbox when updating my system/pluggins through GUI in the future?

Probably not on OMV 3.x since there won't be any more updates (at least not from me). Typically, updates shouldn't break anything.

• If the kernel isn't installed, then you don't need the headers. You shouldn't have a lot of extra packages if this is a fresh install.

Probably not on OMV 3.x since there won't be any more updates (at least not from me). Typically, updates shouldn't break anything.

THanks man!

Should I remove the 3.2.0 kernel that is still on my install? If yes how should I do it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I remove the 3.2.0 kernel that is still on my install? If yes how should I do it?

According to your dpkg output above, the 3.2 kernel and headers are not installed on your system.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!