Windows 10 Build 1709 and newer can't connect to SMB shares on OMV

• OMV 2.x
    • Dropkick Murphy wrote:

1709 Build 17046 (latest) with 2.2.14 absolutely no problems...

But we don´t know your OMV Version...pls get a signature
      Strange, I thought for sure that this was my problem since the thread I linked appeared directly on point.

I'm also running OMV 2.2.14. Build 1709 Windows PC's remain unable to access my OMV, earlier capable.

I tried to update my OMV to 3. After the update, I lost the web GUI, which just returned a blank page, but otherwise the OMV appeared to be functioning. Unfortunately, SMB problems remained unchanged. Regarding the GUI, I assume it may be because I didn't remove all plugins in advance, which seems like a lot of trouble to go through, as I'm not sure I'll be able to configure things like Syncthing again on the same folders without resyncing.
    • creamsicle wrote:

Apparently, Windows 10 Build 1709 deprecated SMB 1.0: social.technet.microsoft.com/F…orum=win10itpronetworking

My PC's running older versions of Windows can continue to access my OMV's SMB shares without issue. The newer build PC's cannot.

Is there a way to update my OMV to use SMB 2 or 3?
      Disabling smb1 in Windows-Features in Windows 10 1709 helped for me.

Picture is in german. Sorry for that.

After, now i can connect my shares.
      *future backup system*
      OMV 3.0.96 (Erasmus) -
      Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
      Core2Quad Q8200 @2,33 GHz | 6 GB
      Intel SSD 320 40GB System |
      6x2TB WD-Red Raid5

*replacement under construction*
      OMV 3.0.96 (Erasmus) -
      Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
      i3-2120 @ 3,30 GHz | 8 GB
      Sandisk SSD 126GB System | 3x6TB WD-Red Raid5
    • DanieleU. wrote:

creamsicle wrote:

Apparently, Windows 10 Build 1709 deprecated SMB 1.0: social.technet.microsoft.com/F…orum=win10itpronetworking

My PC's running older versions of Windows can continue to access my OMV's SMB shares without issue. The newer build PC's cannot.

Disabling smb1 in Windows-Features in Windows 10 1709 helped for me.
      Picture is in german. Sorry for that.

After, now i can connect my shares.
      Good. Nobody should be using SMB1. Too dangerous.
    • Update: 18 Mar 2018

To get Windows 10 to connect to OMV SMB/CIF shares, see this -> How-To.

________________________________________________________________________________________

creamsicle wrote:

OMV already runs the latest levels of SMB (Server Message Block) available. The problem with the latest M$ PC's (Win10 for example) is that M$ acts like they own the protocol. They makes changes on the fly, sometimes in security updates, that can result in incompatibility. Thereafter, it takes a bit of time for the open source community to figure out what they did and adjust.

SMB does an auto negotiation for the protocol level (1,2 or 3) that usually works fine. But just like auto-negotiate for Ethernet speed and duplex, sometimes the process fails. In some cases setting a parameter can fix issues.

Following are the various SMB prot's and their M$ equivalents. (Early versions deleted.)

SMB2: Used by Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. SMB2 has sub protocols available.
      SMB2_02: The earliest SMB2 version.
      SMB2_10: Windows 7 SMB2 version.
      SMB2_22: Early Windows 8 SMB2 version.
      SMB2_24: Windows 8 beta SMB2 version.
      By default SMB2 selects the SMB2_10 variant.

SMB3: The same as SMB2. Used by Windows 8. SMB3 has sub protocols available.
      SMB3_00: Windows 8 SMB3 version. (mostly the same as SMB2_24)
      By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant.

The minimum protocol level can be set in your individual SMB shares, in extra options.

Configuration Example:
      client min protocol = SMB2

Following is an example of a Samba share dialog, from the OMV GUI:

To apply this minimum level to ALL shares (assumes that there are no clients earlier than Win Vista on your LAN):

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.

The post was edited 5 times, last by flmaxey: edit3 ().

• ljvd wrote:

One other way is to desable Samba 1 & 2 on the Windows 10 machine

Running the Powershell as admin and typin

Source Code

1. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
      2. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $false
      3. Get-SmbServerConfiguration
      (Using Windows 7 and 8 clients, I don't have the problem in this thread.)

However:
      In this particular case, to insure a Windows 10 Client can access OMV Samba shares, it might be best to have SMB2 enabled on Win10.

While turning SMB1 off is a good idea, to increase compatibility, Win10 Client owners might want to use the line:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.