Migrate to new hardware : same OMV version

• Hello,

I've searched information about migrating an OMV installation (raspberry in my case) on an Intel platform, with same USB drive, on the same OMV version (3.94). I've found no clear information or old one. What is the most seamless way to migrate ? Is there a backup/restore config plugin ? May I copy/restore config.xml ?

If there is no easy way, what steps shall I follow to assure no data loss ? What will happen when I'll plug my USB drive from previous OMV install (with all my Data and CIFS shares) on a fresh OMV install ? Will the new OMV install find the CIFS shares ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• There is no way to migrate an OMV installation from one architecture (your RasPi) to another (Intel).

You cannot migrate a config.xml file between installations and expect it to work. It won't. You can examine the file for reference purposes though.

You will have to do a fresh install on the new hardware and reconfigure it entirely by hand in the GUI.

It probably would be helpful if you took screen shots from your existing configuration to use as reminders when you configure the new install.

The USB data drive can be used as is on the new installation if it was formatted with a filesystem that is compatible between the installations. Shares are not defined on the data drive itself, so you will have to recreate them from scratch just like the rest of the configuration.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Thanks for these informations.

One more point. What about shared folders (not CIFS shares) and filesystems. They are defined on the drive data, aren't they ? They will be detected and recognized ? How to declare them without recreating them ?

• I don't know what you mean by shared folders in that context. Please elaborate.

The filesystem is the filesystem. It's whatever it was when it was created and it's portable so long as wherever you are taking it understands the filesystem type. Don't worry about this.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I tried to use the very OMV terminology.

"Shared Folder" are items created in the "Shared Folder" submenu of "Access Right Management" menu of OMV. Equivalent of root directories on a "Filesystem".

"Filesystems" are items created in the "File System" submenu of the "Storage" menu of OMV. Equivalent of partitions on a "Physical Disk" (always OMV terminology).

"Shared floders" and "Filesystems" are created manually on a fresh OMV install with a fresh disk. So I wonder if they have to be created manually also on a fresh OMV install with a migrated disk wich already contains partitions and root folders.

If they are created again, there is risks that they will be overrided ou cleared. If they are not created, will OMV find them and create items in the above mentionned submenu automatically ?

Thanks for your support

• As I said, all your shares (Shared Folder items) are going to have to be manually recreated in the OMV GUI on the fresh install of OMV. Those definitions are not stored on the data disk that contains the data you want to share. They are stored on the system disk that is running OMV.

Creating shares does not touch the data you are sharing. That step only identifies the data you wish to share to OMV.

If you don't have a verified backup of your data, you are always at risk of having something happen that will destroy it with no recourse. But creating shares is not something that will cause loss of the data you wish to share.

DO NOT create a filesystem on your existing data disk. That will destroy the existing data.

Perhaps you are not clear on what is a system disk and what is a data disk? If you do not understand this distinction, then you would be best to disconnect the data drive from the machine and leave only the drive that OMV will be installed to. Then install OMV, do nothing further, and shut the machine down. Replace the data drive and boot OMV. Then configure OMV. It should detect your now connected data disk, and see the existing filesystem on it.

--

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!