Cannot view filesystem after creation

• I'm brand new to OMV (and to NAS systems in general) and I've been having some installation issues. I have two new data disks in my system, and I was able to set up a RAID1 without any issues.

hen I go to create a file system, it goes through the creation process as seen here:

Seems normal to me. OMV even tells me that it was successfully created:

owever, immediately after the file system says "Successfully created", it disappears:

just doesn't appear in the list at all. I tried quick wiping both disks and recreating the RAID, but same issue. Could it be a hardware issue? I was having issues with FreeNAS so I switched to OMV, where both times I've been getting errors on one of my disks on the system screen. I switched SATA cables and ports on the "bad" disk, which didn't change the errors I was getting.

• If you want to stay in the GUI:

- Try wiping both disks. Then set up a file system on each individual disk.
    - Enable smart. (Under Storage, SMART.)

The status light is a rough indicator, but if you highlight the drive in question and click the Information button, you'll get attribute details.

Are you suggesting to set up a file system on each individual disk to test? Because I wanted to use a RAID setup.
    I already had SMART enabled on the disk that I think might be having issues, but I don't know where to check it out.

• I was doing FreeNAS before, so I'm perfectly fine with ZFS. As for your previous comment, I had set up long test to run overnight for both so I have results now.

What should I be looking for in these test results?

• Actually didn't separate the drives before doing the SMART tests, so doing that now. I did a quick wipe before on both disks, is a secure wipe necessary since it takes so much longer?

I know some very basic command line stuff, but I'm comfortable with instructions.

• A quick wipe is fine. (Secure wipe is a way to erase the contents of the drive. Usually not necessary.)

It's not necessary to separate the drives for SMART. For data drives, SMART stat's are independent of the file system.

Deleted the RAID, quick wiped the drives, and attempted to set up each as their individual file system. File system creation still does not work, for either drive.

• Correction: On freeNAS I was able to make a filesystem, but was getting "Uncorrectable parity/CRC" errors, after I had my RAID1, filesystem, and SMB share setup. It is only with OMV that I am unable to create a filesystem.

I'll try your suggestion about switching the SATA ports, and I'll try to figure out Putty as well. Thanks!

• So I switched the disks on the SATA ports, which broke OMV. I reinstalled OMV and I am still having the same issue.

I'm thinking maybe if I step down to OMV 3, this issue could be solved, as maybe my hardware just doesn't like something about OMV 4?

Also, I looked at the server monitor and it had a lot of errors on it:

UPDATE: Have Putty working now, at least.

UPDATE 2: Reinstalled OMV on my server with version 3.0.94 and I can now view the file system as it should be. I'm going to remove and recreate the file system just to make sure that it's working correctly, and then attempt to setup with ZFS.

UPDATE 3: Before recreating the new file system, I decided to setup a SMB share, which worked as expected.

UPDATE 4: Deleted shared folder, file system and RAID. Starting fresh and setting up a new RAID1, and then I need to figure out how to set up a ZFS file system. I tried installing the ZFS plugin before, but every method failed.

• I am using 3.0.94

I get the same error when trying to upload the plugin you linked. When I look at the ZFS plugin in the plugins list for OMV, I get another error that says "E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages", which I copied below. I also cannot delete my old file system, it just stays there after confirming deletion.

EDIT: I feel I should also mention that the server has an AMD processor, which I know for servers is generally not ideal but I was trying to repurpose my old gaming desktop. Not sure if the processor/motherboard could be causing any compatibility issues.

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-zfs 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault-zfs : Depends: zfs-dkms but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: zfs-zed but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

• Awesome! Thanks so much for your help. I've got my ZFS pool and my SMB share all set up, and can access it from my computer. I'm marking this thread as resolved and I'll post any other questions in the appropriate place on the forums.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!