sys snapshots + plugin backup + restore new hard disk

• I know that this thing must have been asked several times, but dind't find anything in the forum, so here I am....
    I'm experimenting OMV3, coming from old, dear OMV2 (why EOL, poor?), and I'd like to do a couple of operations:
    1) take a system snapshot, so than I can go back if something goes wrong (like it was a VM);
    is than possible somehow?
    2) have a system disk backup for disaster recovery: I saw the plugin "backup" and I'm asking: in case of emergency can I make a fresh install of OMV3 on a new hd/ssd and simply (re)copy all the backupped files to the new sys disk? Is that enought?
    Thanks folks!
    Massimo

• Offizieller Beitrag

take a system snapshot, so than I can go back if something goes wrong (like it was a VM);
    is than possible somehow?

Yes. Clonezilla will clone the hard drive to either another hard drive or storage on another system.

have a system disk backup for disaster recovery: I saw the plugin "backup" and I'm asking: in case of emergency can I make a fresh install of OMV3 on a new hd/ssd and simply (re)copy all the backupped files to the new sys disk? Is that enought?

For the most part, it should work that way but it is not easy. Clonezilla is a better option.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks a lot. I appreciate Clonezilla too, but it's not very practical, cause U have to shut down the server. I'm trying "rear relax & recover" and it seems to be working fine, but I'm concerned about the possibilities of system damage when OMV was in production. Snapshots seem to be a reacheable goal for the new free VEEAM lunux backup. Did U try one of these or another backup for live systems?
    Bye

• Offizieller Beitrag

I appreciate Clonezilla too, but it's not very practical, cause U have to shut down the server. I'm trying "rear relax & recover" and it seems to be working fine, but I'm concerned about the possibilities of system damage when OMV was in production. Snapshots seem to be a reacheable goal for the new free VEEAM lunux backup. Did U try one of these or another backup for live systems?

Most of my OMV installs are on VMware. So, I can snpashot them from vCenter. On my physical systems, the backup plugin is good enough for me since my OMV setup rarely changes. REAR is probably equivalent of the rsync that the backup plugin does but it does have a better restore. No idea about VEEAM. I filed a feature request a long time ago to use LVM or btrfs for the OS drive. Then good snapshots could be taken and restored. You could install Debian first to give yourself this capability.

Clonezilla is not nome a part of OMV backup plugin! Do U use on a live CD ord USB pen?

It used to be part of the backup plugin but now it is part of omv-extras itself. Look at the kernel tab.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!