? [Newbie] General questions for preparing 1st PI + OMV + miniDLNA installation

• Dear all,

In a couple of days I am going to purchase my very first PI 3. I do have an external USB 2.0 hard drive (2 TB, Western Digital WDBAAU0010HBK-01), which I want to use as a simple 'NAS', without RAID, to store and stream flac-files, mainly to my AV Receiver Pioneer VSX-S520D. I already converted some CDs to flac (ongoing). Therefore, I plan to install OMV and the miniDLNA plugin, providing a convenient low cost 'music server'.

Since I will use this music server rarely, I think about a regular shutdown (remotely from an iPad or iPhone) via Command Pi, iTerminal, Termius, WebSSH or a similar app. Additionally, I will have a WiFi smart plug, which I can switch on and off also remotely via these two devices. Both, the PI and the hard drive (with own electrical power adapter) will be plugged into this smart plug. After a PI shutdown I can switch the smart plug off, and if I like to start the music server, I simply turn the smart plug (from the iPhone/iPad) ... that's the idea.

What do I need to configure for getting an autostart of OMV together with miniDLNA, when I start the PI by switching the smart plug on?
    I also like to use the OMV TeamViewer plugin (or X11VNC server) for remote access and control, if required.

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
    Joe

OrangePi Zero Plus (using the ext. 1 TB HDD that is connected to a Fritz!Box 7490); Pioneer VSX-S520D + BDP-X300; Quadral Tornado; Panasonic Viera TX-L42V20E; Intel NUC 5i5RYH (Win. 10 Pro 64); TT-connect CT-3650 CI; Archgon Panasonic UJ-272; DVBViewer Pro+Mediaserver; Kodi; Pulse 8 CEC HDMI; Logitech LR Keyboard K830

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do I need to configure for getting an autostart of OMV together with miniDLNA, when I start the PI by switching the smart plug on?

Nothing.

However, never ever cut the power of the Pi before shutting it down properly. Taking the small power consumption into account, why not keep it running 24/7 and just idle the hard drive?.
    Be aware that the smart plug also consumes energy and is an investment. Using the smart plug to disconnect the Pi probably does not pay off.

• Taking the small power consumption into account, why not keep it running 24/7 and just idle the hard drive?

Often not possible (one of the many downsides of USB attached storage -- you need to know which USB-to-SATA bridge is in the enclosure and you need to know whether the firmware allows for full access or not -- most recent example why firmware upgrades might be necessary... something I doubt ever happens with WD or Seagate external disks). So I would do a web search for 'WDBAAU0010HBK hdparm' first or simply test it on any Linux host whether the disk spins down and how consumption looks like then.

Besides that you're absolutely right, such 'smart plugs' consume energy on their own. I bought 2 EnerGenie EG-PM2 USB switchable power outlets to reduce overall consumption just to realize that those things waste 3W on their own (and my small NAS boxes stay below these 3W in idle so it was an easy decision to let them idle and simply improve powering of connected disks -- using an Olimex Lime2 in the meantime combined with this 'SATA cable' since the Olimex can cut power to the USB ports so I get with 3 3.5" disks connected ~2W idle consumption when disks sleep and SATA bridges aren't powered)

BTW: Cutting power to all USB consumers is possible with Raspberries too: /sys/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/buspower is the culprit. But of course you're right: if the Raspberry is not already bought exploring the many way better options is always a good idea.

• Many thanks for your hints.

It is said that the smart plug just consumes around 0.5 to 1 W on its own. And I don’t like to keep devices switched on 24 x 7, if I will use them in average just 2 hours per day or maybe less. I do have some foot-operated power plug switches (Bachmann, 0 W when switched off) to avoid idle or standby power consumption.

Currently the Fritz!Box 7490 with connected USB 3.0 HDD (Toshiba STOR.E Slim 1 TB), HTPC (Intel NUC 5i5RYH), LAN network switch (TP-Link TL-SG105E) and external TV card (TechnoTrend TT Connect CT-3650 CI, DVB-C) are always on (... the NUC is mostly in S3).

The Pioneer AV-Receiver VSX-520D and Blu-Ray Player BDP-X300 are only on (including standby), when the main classical foot-operated power plug is switched on - as long as we watch TV (Panasonic Viera TX-L42V20E) or hear music. Than, they are really off.

All devices consume relatively little electrical power when they are in use, and very little when they are in standby, and nothing when switched off.

Thus, I thought about remote - save - shutdown of the PI, thereafter power off the smart plug ... and switch on the smart plug to start the PI and the music server.

Are the alternatives you’ve mentioned are also easy to install and to use - like a PI? I am not a developer, but can read, configure and try ;) Regarding PI it’s easy to find guides and tipps, including PI OMV installation images. What about the others?

The Western Digital external USB 2.0 hdd is already available (and not used) ... that has been the motivation for setting up a mini NAS as a separate flac music server, because the built-in mediaserver of the Fritz!Box doesn’t utilize and interprete any flac tags (what a pity).

What would you do - instead of the PI?

Thanks,
    Joe

OrangePi Zero Plus (using the ext. 1 TB HDD that is connected to a Fritz!Box 7490); Pioneer VSX-S520D + BDP-X300; Quadral Tornado; Panasonic Viera TX-L42V20E; Intel NUC 5i5RYH (Win. 10 Pro 64); TT-connect CT-3650 CI; Archgon Panasonic UJ-272; DVBViewer Pro+Mediaserver; Kodi; Pulse 8 CEC HDMI; Logitech LR Keyboard K830

• @tkaiser: Many thanks. Great. The Orange PI Zero Plus seems to be the right alternative for me [running 24 x 7 ;) ]. The WD hard drive does have built-in power saving. Could this cause issues (e.g. https://www.linuxonlinehelp.de…ital-drive-wdbaau0010hbk/)? How to solve/overcome?

How to connect an Orange PI Zero Plus to a (HDMI-)monitor, for 1st install? (I didn't see any HDMI port)
    Or is there another 1st installation approach that works reliable from the very first step without a monitor attached to the Orange PI Zero Plus? [Sorry, I am a newbie]

Regards,
    Joe

• I can't answer questions wrt 'external disks' since I avoid these based on all those unnecessary problems associated with this. What's important is the used SATA bridge chip and its firmware and with all those already assembled disk enclosures you never know (and can not even trust in anything you find on the net since the 'same' product can be based on something entirely different in the meantime)

Wrt setting up such an ARM OMV box all you have to take care of is a good/genuine SD card, a reliable power supply and Ethernet connection. Then you boot, wait few minutes and access the OMV web UI.

If you want to do something fancy, then add a new user added to the ssh and sudo groups and login as this user via SSH later. No need for a display/keyboard, everything is network accessible.

Only exception: boot problems for whatever reasons (see above, it's always either related to corrupted image or insufficient powering). If this happens you need serial condole access or simply follow the guidelines again avoiding the two common issues: https://docs.armbian.com/User-…#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card

• Is the two step combination better > any board Armbian supports and then use armbian-config to install OMV with all the needed performance and reliability tweaks. It's choosing a Debian Armbian image (Ubuntu won't do) and then armbian-config --> Software --> Softy --> Install OMV.
    than the Sourceforge image? Or is it simply the same?

Thanks,
    Joe

• Please see 3rd link in post #6 above. It's more or less the same but if an OMV image is available and you happen to run off a slow SD card choosing the OMV image over the armbian-config variant is a lot faster since 'installing software' is a random IO storage pattern and here only a few SD cards are really good: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/954-sd-card-performance/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!