Format Hard Drive for NTFS in OpenMediaVault

• Hello all,

I want to format one of my hard drives for NTFS from the OMV web UI, but given that NTFS is not an option in the "Create File System" list, I am somewhat lost right now. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

• Why?

Because sometimes it is necessary for me to pull one of my hard drives and attach them to a computer running Windows.

OMV only supports the creation of Linux POSIX file systems.

Yes, but OMV is Linux, so surely it is possible to format a drive for NTFS.

I actually solved this problem by just pulling the drive and formatting it for NTFS on Windows, but it would be nice to know how to do this on Linux in the future. I tried using mkntifs -f /dev/sdx, and while it worked, the file system, would not mount in OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because sometimes it is necessary for me to pull one of my hard drives and attach them to a computer running Windows.

The idea of a NAS is that you don't have to do that. Why can't you transfer from the NAS?

Yes, but OMV is Linux, so surely it is possible to format a drive for NTFS.

Possible, yes. Wipe the drive, create a partition with the correct id, use mkfs to format. Desired in OMV web interface, no. Non-posix filesystems cause problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sometimes it is necessary for me to pull one of my hard drives and attach them to a computer running Windows.

You should never do this since you introduce trouble with (meta)data represenation (so called 'alternate data streams' that are stored on Windows/NTFS in NTFS file streams but totally different when using Samba) and most probably you run unknowingly in encoding troubles too (again Samba expects a POSIX file system and does a translation from UTF-16 to UTF-8 -- I've not the slightest idea whether there's also a transformation of different Unicode normalization forms is necessary as it's the case when Macs are involved: decomposed vs. precomposed).

I repair such stuff from time to time and can assure that it's only fun if you're paid per hour :)

• You should never do this since you introduce trouble with (meta)data represenation (so called 'alternate data streams' that are stored on Windows/NTFS in NTFS file streams but totally different when using Samba) and most probably you run unknowingly in encoding troubles too (again Samba expects a POSIX file system and does a translation from UTF-16 to UTF-8 -- I've not the slightest idea whether there's also a transformation of different Unicode normalization forms is necessary as it's the case when Macs are involved: decomposed vs. precomposed).
    I repair such stuff from time to time and can assure that it's only fun if you're paid per hour :)

Oh wow! I never knew that! Would it be a good idea for me to reformat all of my drives with another file system via OMV then? It is, admittedly, very rare that I have to pull a drive out, and I am sure that I can find a better solution. What file system would be best for doing this sort of thing?

• As written above: Any POSIX compliant filesystem, that's basically all those OMV 'allows' to use (ext4, XFS, btrfs, ZFS -- for the latter you need to install the ZFS plugin and maybe that's nothing for filesystem novices)

To keep it simple and stupid (KISS): ext4

If you want to invest some time to get familiar with more modern file systems: BTRFS or ZFS (you need to read a bit about COW, srcub, snapshot etc.)

Okay, thank you to both of you. I haven't decided what file system I want to use just yet, but I will definitely be moving my NAS off of NTFS now. Too bad Microsoft isn't doing the same. I am not counting ReFS since it's not heavily used yet and it's proprietary.

• Why?

Don't ask why, just answer the question please. For example, just to make you happy, the reason I want to OMV to support NTFS is because I have 2TB drive (NTFS) filled with contents. Formatting it would erase all of the contents. So if OMV can support NTFS, then I won't have to reformat this drive. I can just plug it in and it's good to go. I do not want to move my contents to another drive and copy them back into this drive after converting it from NTFS to EXT4, that will take many hours. So if there is a way to make OMV support NTFS, then please share. Thank you, for your time.

• Don't ask why, just answer the question please. For example, just to make you happy, the reason I want to OMV to support NTFS is because I have 2TB drive (NTFS) filled with contents. Formatting it would erase all of the contents. So if OMV can support NTFS, then I won't have to reformat this drive. I can just plug it in and it's good to go. I do not want to move my contents to another drive and copy them back into this drive after converting it from NTFS to EXT4, that will take many hours. So if there is a way to make OMV support NTFS, then please share. Thank you, for your time.

Just answered your other topic, it actually works just fine to plug your NTFS hard drive on OMV (OMV 4.x tested by me) and use it, the only problem you might have is just not having write access to it because of the stupid way windows 8+ shuts down which can be easily fixed with a true shutdown.

NTFS Support

• Hello all,

I want to format one of my hard drives for NTFS from the OMV web UI, but given that NTFS is not an option in the "Create File System" list, I am somewhat lost right now. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hi there, just letting you know that you can format your Drive as NTFS from Windows, then you just plug it into OMV and it will work. OMV doesn't let you format as NTFS by default, but you can always use Windows. If you must format your drive using Linux then you can use the Parted utility. I am a windows user, I find that linux is DOS like, very tidious, etc... so I downloaded this Visual Parted tool (https://gparted.org/download.php) and it's great. Just a few clicks and you're on your way. I hope this will help you as it did for me.

My question is very similar to yours, so I posted here (see below) and a very nice person gave me wonderful answer.

NTFS Support

• Don't ask why, just answer the question please. For example, just to make you happy, the reason I want to OMV to support NTFS is because I have 2TB drive (NTFS) filled with contents. Formatting it would erase all of the contents. So if OMV can support NTFS, then I won't have to reformat this drive. I can just plug it in and it's good to go. I do not want to move my contents to another drive and copy them back into this drive after converting it from NTFS to EXT4, that will take many hours. So if there is a way to make OMV support NTFS, then please share. Thank you, for your time.

I'm actually grateful for @tkaiser asking why. I've since moved all my drives to ext4, and having done so. I've since moved all of my drives to ext4, and I'm really glad that I did.

• Hi there, just letting you know that you can format your Drive as NTFS from Windows, then you just plug it into OMV and it will work. OMV doesn't let you format as NTFS by default, but you can always use Windows. If you must format your drive using Linux then you can use the Parted utility. I am a windows user, I find that linux is DOS like, very tidious, etc... so I downloaded this Visual Parted tool (https://gparted.org/download.php) and it's great. Just a few clicks and you're on your way. I hope this will help you as it did for me.
    My question is very similar to yours, so I posted here (see below) and a very nice person gave me wonderful answer.

NTFS Support

Hello,

Yes I actually found this out later on, but I actually moved away from NTFS because it was causing some issues with OMV, so I moved all my drives to ext4. Thank you for sharing though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!