'systemctl edit' not implemented ?

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved
    • 'systemctl edit' not implemented ?

I need to modify a parameter of a service's unit file (/usr/lib/systemd/system/foo.service), but without modifying the unit file itself. According to numerous sources, systemd provides for this via what Arch Linux calls 'Drop-in files', which can override parameters of the unit file. When I tried to create a drop-in for a systemd service, via 'sudo systemctl edit foo.service', the result was "Unknown operation 'edit'." Not willing to give up, I used nano to create the drop-in file (in /etc/systemd/system/foo.d/override.conf), but when I tested the service, the override was ignored.
      What am I doing wrong ?
    • systemd on omv 3.x is too old for the edit function. What you did is correct but you probably need to reload the systemctl daemon with systemctl daemon-reload. If that doesnt work, there must be an issue with the parameters in the override file.
      omv 4.1.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Thanks, guys. You have encouraged me to give it another try.

I had done systemctl daemon-reload, and when that didn't help, I threw in a reboot also, but that didn't help either. The parameters I added were

Source Code

1. [Service]
      2. Restart=always
      3. RestartSec=5
      If I add these same two items to the unit file, it works as expected: If I kill the service, it restarts a few seconds later. But in the override file, they have no effect. If I kill the service, it stays killed.