Best Practices of downloading then moving - Separate drives?

• My logic - I want as little stress as possible on my media drive, and downloading can be handled by a Download drive (I set up a separate partition on OMV boot drive). So my question is, is it best practice to have a separate drive to handle the downloading like I have set up? Then have Sab move it to a unzipping folder that is on my media drive then allow radarr/sonarr to do the rest?

What are the best practices or am I overthinking it? Do y'all simply have your media HD do the downloading etc?

• Offizieller Beitrag

With your connection to the the Internet being the bottleneck, "downloading" doesn't represent enough I/O to stress a hard drive. Adding to that, coping from host to host on your LAN or streaming media couldn't stress a hard drive either.
    (While considerably faster when compared to downloading, the network stack and other factors still create a significant I/O bottleneck.)
    Local, hard drive to hard drive, copies represent high I/O but, typically, these events don't last long enough to make a difference. Drives are designed to deal with this kind of activity.

[RAID is another matter. Array rebuilds or "resilvering" are hours, days or even weeks long activity at its' peak. This can, and does, kill hard drives.]

In a home system, in most cases, your drives are going to last around 4 to 6 years. There are ways to extend drive life but they're not convenient. If you're booting up everyday, leaving your system up 24x7 might save drive stress (from spin ups and shutdowns) at the expense of your electric bill. Also, keeping the average operating temperature of your drives under 40c (104F) might be a good idea. You can look at drive temp's under Storage, S.M.A.R.T, and the Devices tab.

There's nothing wrong with your method but isolating your downloads with a separate drive might be going a bit far. A download folder would do the trick.

I'd use that extra drive for data backup.

• What you suggest would only make a difference if you set OMV to spin down your drives. General consensus seems to be that it's better to not spin down. This is also OMV's default setting.

Feel free to do your own research on hdd spin down and make a decision for yourself. I don't think anyone could give you a "best practice" answer because everyone's usage patterns are different.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!