Help needed on motherboard choice

• Hello there!

Since 2 years, i am a happy user of OMV, it response to my needs. It is fast, well thinked, low power consumption( run all year), and there is plex <3

I currently have this configuration in a Zalman M1:

Asrock AM1b-ITX
    AMD Athlon 5350
    Corsair 2x4G ddr3 1600Mhz
    PSU Be Quiet Pure Power L8 430w
    Rheobus Kaze master II

and disks:

_1x WD 500G (system)
    _2x WD RED 4TO
    _1x WD RED 2 TO

This build consumes 20 to 25 watts/hour.

By time, disk space is a fatality, i need to have 2 more disks to my OMV NAS. This motherboard only have 4 sata ports...

I bought a sata card controller on Ebay, but the card does not work, it seems because it his the same chipset (Asmedia 1061) that the motherboard have already :/

So, i am looking for a motherboard (and processor) with 8 sata ports, and a low power consumption ( like i have already, can be less than 40w/hour)

My choice stopped for the moment on a ASUS A88X-M plus (fm2+), i am not sure of what processor i should take with it...

It is a good idea or should i change my mind for something better?

Thank you :)

Regards,

Mike.

PS: English is not my mother tongue, sorry for uncorrect words xD

• Wouldn't be easier to keep your existing system as is and get a different SATA controller that works with it?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Wouldn't be easier to keep your existing system as is and get a different SATA controller that works with it?

I had this idea also, but the Zalman M1 have only 4 slot for disks.
    (I think also that 2 years after my build, i need more disk space... So i plan that i will have to add disks in the future)
    I have another case, a Cooler Master 690 II where i plan to put all the build in it. If you have a sata controller card to suggest me, i take, thanks :)

By the way, your motherboard is awesome!!! 8o (ASRock Rack C2550D4I)

Or use USB thumb drive for OS and add one larger HDD.

It's a good idea, i think about a mini usb3 (like a sandisk cruzer fit). But is it ok for the system in the time? My NAS runs 24/24H all year... I say that because of the read/write on the thumb drive which is more limited than a classic disk.
    But i still need to add 2 disks, 1WD RED 4TO (for backup importants folders) et 1 WD RED 2 TO for the summer movies i have to put in it :thumbup:

• Use the Flashmemory plugin if you have OMV on a USB drive.

I can't suggest a SATA controller other than to say find one that uses a different chipset, not the Asmedia 1061.

I love my ASRock Rack C2550D4I. I got it for the 12 on board SATA ports :D

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Use the Flashmemory plugin if you have OMV on a USB drive.

I can't suggest a SATA controller other than to say find one that uses a different chipset, not the Asmedia 1061.

I love my ASRock Rack C2550D4I. I got it for the 12 on board SATA ports :D

I am going to take a look at that plugin tonight ! Thanks ^^
    I was searching after answering to you boths, seems like marvell chipset card are working well.

The 12 sata ports is what i saw first

• So, after many researchs, i have found this card => http://www.kalea-informatique.com/mag/fr/product-9251178.htm

It is a PCIe 2.0 sata controller board with 4 ports SATA 3 6GBps on a port 2x (ok with 2x, 4x, 8x et 16x), based on a Chipset Marvell 88SE9230. This board have his own bios, linux friendly installed drivers.

I will make a new post of it, i am pretty sure that other people have the same motherboard, and i have searched for many days to have the rights infos, it could help i guess ^^

I should receive the board on friday, i keep you in touch :)

Thank again guys :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!