Recover data from ZFS member

• I had almost a complete disaster scenario just occur and I need help recovering data from a ZFS member disk.

I was in the process of completing my setup but did not get to the point of setting up a secondary backup of my data. I set up a simple ZFS mirror with two 2TB hard drives and everything was working great as far as data access went. That is, until a recent storm came through and fried almost everything in my house. On my OMV server, it killed the motherboard, OS drive, and one of the ZFS members. The 2nd ZFS member appears to be ok as far as I can tell and now I'm running into trouble recovering the data from it.

I rebuilt the server with some new hardware and it recognized the disk without any problem and it reports in good health. However, I cannot add it to back into a RAID array without wiping the disk first. Is there a way to mount the disk to use it as a standalone drive within the web GUI or would it have to be done via command line? I also tried connecting it to another Debian machine and importing the zpool but it complains that the ZFS version is newer and therefore not compatible.

I will certainly put a secondary backup as a priority after this. :D

• If your new OMV host uses same or higher ZFS plugin version as the old you could try to issue a 'zpool import' there (and provide the output). But in case you have another disk of identical or larger size maybe simply doing a full block copy to this disk first is a good idea if you have to fear that your remaining mirror member was also damaged slightly by the storm?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!