Shares not showing up in Windows 10

• OMV 3.x (stable)
    • Shares not showing up in Windows 10

Hello,
      my samba share is not showing up on windows 10 at all, i am running windows 10 build 17017.rs_prerelease.171010-1400. is there any configs i need to provide at all?
      when i try \\192.168.0.15 in windows explorer and i goto troubleshooting when it says it fails it reports back this error The device or resource (192.168.0.15) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
      Thank You.

UPDATE: i just downloaded and and now in the process of installing omv 4.0.14

The post was edited 1 time, last by sudosudoo ().

• revise SMB MaxServer & Client on OMV, NTLM is not supported anymore by SAMBA/CIFS
      OMV 3.0.96 x64 on a HP T510, 8GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ;
    • perhaps your win10 try to use NTLM1 that is not supported by SAMBA, so you need to instruct Windows to use SMB3 that is more efficient , this can be done using " Client max protocol":

see smb.conf rules: samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

eg: copy & paste from smb.conf rules:

Display Spoiler

client max protocol (G)

The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol level that will be supported by the client.
      Possible values are :
      [*]CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.
      [*]COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.
      [*]LANMAN1: First modern version of the protocol. Long filename support.
      [*]LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.
      [*]NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by Windows NT. Known as CIFS.
      [*]SMB2: Re-implementation of the SMB protocol. Used by Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. SMB2 has sub protocols available.
      [*]SMB2_02: The earliest SMB2 version.
      [*]SMB2_10: Windows 7 SMB2 version.
      [*]SMB2_22: Early Windows 8 SMB2 version.
      [*]SMB2_24: Windows 8 beta SMB2 version.
      By default SMB2 selects the SMB2_10 variant.
      [*]SMB3: The same as SMB2. Used by Windows 8. SMB3 has sub protocols available.
      • SMB3_00: Windows 8 SMB3 version. (mostly the same as SMB2_24)
      By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant.
      Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol.
      Default: [i]client max protocol = SMB3[/i]
      Example: [i]client max protocol = LANMAN1[/i]
      client min protocol (G)

This setting controls the minimum protocol version that the client will attempt to use.
      Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol.
      Default: [i]client min protocol = CORE[/i]
      Example: [i]client min protocol = NT1[/i]
      client NTLMv2 auth (G)

This parameter determines whether or not smbclient(8) will attempt to authenticate itself to servers using the NTLMv2 encrypted password response.
      If enabled, only an NTLMv2 and LMv2 response (both much more secure than earlier versions) will be sent. Older servers (including NT4 < SP4, Win9x and Samba 2.2) are not compatible with NTLMv2 when not in an NTLMv2 supporting domain
      Similarly, if enabled, NTLMv1, client lanman auth and client plaintext auth authentication will be disabled. This also disables share-level authentication.
      If disabled, an NTLM response (and possibly a LANMAN response) will be sent by the client, depending on the value of client lanman auth.
      Note that Windows Vista and later versions already use NTLMv2 by default, and some sites (particularly those following 'best practice' security polices) only allow NTLMv2 responses, and not the weaker LM or NTLM.
      Default: [i]client NTLMv2 auth = yes[/i]
      client plaintext auth (G)

Specifies whether a client should send a plaintext password if the server does not support encrypted passwords.
      Default: [i]client plaintext auth = no[/i]
      OMV 3.0.96 x64 on a HP T510, 8GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ;
    • The Samba protocol does an auto-negotiate that works most of the time but, as it is with anything "auto", there can be problems.
      Win10 can be problematic in that its' preferred protocol (depending on the installation) can be at the top end of the 3.XX range.

The client "max" and "min" protocol settings restrict the negotiation process on the OMV side. Hopefully, you can find something to "bracket" what you need, with the info @raulfg3 provided to you, above.

For instance:
      client min protocol = SMB2
      client max protocol = SMB2
      might work for you.

You can try these parameters here:

On the Win10 end of it, as it seems, there are command lines for power shell to turn SMB levels on and off. Since I don't have a Win10 client, I can't test them but I image they work. Nailing it down to SMB2 only, on both ends (OMV and Windows), would be an approach I might try.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.95 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • raulfg3 wrote:

perhaps your win10 try to use NTLM1 that is not supported by SAMBA, so you need to instruct Windows to use SMB3 that is more efficient , this can be done using " Client max protocol":

see smb.conf rules: samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

eg: copy & paste from smb.conf rules:

Display Spoiler

client max protocol (G)

The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol level that will be supported by the client.
      Possible values are :
      CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.
      COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.
      LANMAN1: First modern version of the protocol. Long filename support.
      LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.
      NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by Windows NT. Known as CIFS.
      SMB2: Re-implementation of the SMB protocol. Used by Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. SMB2 has sub protocols available.
      SMB2_02: The earliest SMB2 version.
      SMB2_10: Windows 7 SMB2 version.
      SMB2_22: Early Windows 8 SMB2 version.
      SMB2_24: Windows 8 beta SMB2 version.
      By default SMB2 selects the SMB2_10 variant.
      SMB3: The same as SMB2. Used by Windows 8. SMB3 has sub protocols available.
      • SMB3_00: Windows 8 SMB3 version. (mostly the same as SMB2_24)
      By default SMB3 selects the SMB3_00 variant.
      Default: client max protocol = SMB3[/i]
      Example: client max protocol = LANMAN1[/i]
      client min protocol (G)

This setting controls the minimum protocol version that the client will attempt to use.
      Default: client min protocol = CORE[/i]
      Example: client min protocol = NT1[/i]
      client NTLMv2 auth (G)

This parameter determines whether or not smbclient(8) will attempt to authenticate itself to servers using the NTLMv2 encrypted password response.
      If enabled, only an NTLMv2 and LMv2 response (both much more secure than earlier versions) will be sent. Older servers (including NT4 < SP4, Win9x and Samba 2.2) are not compatible with NTLMv2 when not in an NTLMv2 supporting domain
      Similarly, if enabled, NTLMv1, client lanman auth and client plaintext auth authentication will be disabled. This also disables share-level authentication.
      If disabled, an NTLM response (and possibly a LANMAN response) will be sent by the client, depending on the value of client lanman auth.
      Note that Windows Vista and later versions already use NTLMv2 by default, and some sites (particularly those following 'best practice' security polices) only allow NTLMv2 responses, and not the weaker LM or NTLM.
      Default: client NTLMv2 auth = yes[/i]
      client plaintext auth (G)

Specifies whether a client should send a plaintext password if the server does not support encrypted passwords.
      Default: client plaintext auth = no[/i]

flmaxey wrote:

The Samba protocol does an auto-negotiate that works most of the time but, as it is with anything "auto", there can be problems.
      Win10 can be problematic in that its' preferred protocol (depending on the installation) can be at the top end of the 3.XX range.

The client "max" and "min" protocol settings restrict the negotiation process on the OMV side. Hopefully, you can find something to "bracket" what you need, with the info @raulfg3 provided to you, above.

For instance:
      client min protocol = SMB2
      client max protocol = SMB2
      might work for you.

You can try these parameters here:

On the Win10 end of it, as it seems, there are command lines for power shell to turn SMB levels on and off. Since I don't have a Win10 client, I can't test them but I image they work. Nailing it down to SMB2 only, on both ends (OMV and Windows), would be an approach I might try.
      i did get the shares to work, having users set to not being able to access the share at all caused it to not show up, users needed to have read only access. also i think i had a currupt install of omv because the usb i was using had heaps of water damage and it works like only 10% of the time.
    • sudosudoo wrote:

i did get the shares to work, having users set to not being able to access the share at all caused it to not show up, users needed to have read only access. also i think i had a currupt install of omv because the usb i was using had heaps of water damage and it works like only 10% of the time.
      Well, from a support point of view (as in trying to provide it) I didn't see that one coming. :) I have to ask, why did you think shares would show up for users who don't have access to them?

And as a rule of thumb, electronics don't like water. Building on storage media that has been damaged is, generally, not a good idea.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.95 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • flmaxey wrote:

sudosudoo wrote:

Well, from a support point of view (as in trying to provide it) I didn't see that one coming. :) I have to ask, why did you think shares would show up for users who don't have access to them?
      And as a rule of thumb, electronics don't like water. Building on storage media that has been damaged is, generally, not a good idea.
      i didnt think the shares themselves would show up for users who cant access them but i did think the nas would show up in Network but it would ask for a password to view the shares. it asks for a password to view the shares as long as users and other is set to read only.