Shares not showing up in Windows 10

• Hello,
    my samba share is not showing up on windows 10 at all, i am running windows 10 build 17017.rs_prerelease.171010-1400. is there any configs i need to provide at all?
    when i try \\192.168.0.15 in windows explorer and i goto troubleshooting when it says it fails it reports back this error The device or resource (192.168.0.15) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
    Thank You.

UPDATE: i just downloaded and and now in the process of installing omv 4.0.14

Dell Optiplex 755
    NAS Drive: WD Black Scorpio 230GB
    OS Drive: Toshiba 16GB USB
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6550
    RAM: 2x 1GB Samsung DDR2, 1x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2. Total: 3GB DDR2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sudosudoo ()

• I've dropped M/S, but that error would suggest that file and print sharing needs to be turned on in W10....this explains how.

it already is enabled.

Dell Optiplex 755

• revise SMB MaxServer & Client on OMV, NTLM is not supported anymore by SAMBA/CIFS

i dont understand, please explain

Dell Optiplex 755

• perhaps your win10 try to use NTLM1 that is not supported by SAMBA, so you need to instruct Windows to use SMB3 that is more efficient , this can be done using " Client max protocol":

see smb.conf rules: https://www.samba.org/samba/do…anpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

eg: copy & paste from smb.conf rules:

• i did get the shares to work, having users set to not being able to access the share at all caused it to not show up, users needed to have read only access. also i think i had a currupt install of omv because the usb i was using had heaps of water damage and it works like only 10% of the time.

Dell Optiplex 755

• Well, from a support point of view (as in trying to provide it) I didn't see that one coming. :) I have to ask, why did you think shares would show up for users who don't have access to them?
    And as a rule of thumb, electronics don't like water. Building on storage media that has been damaged is, generally, not a good idea.

i didnt think the shares themselves would show up for users who cant access them but i did think the nas would show up in Network but it would ask for a password to view the shares. it asks for a password to view the shares as long as users and other is set to read only.

Dell Optiplex 755

• Hi,

I just reinstalled my WIN 10 desktop and I cannot see any of my shares on my OMV server (v3.2.0-6-amd64). I tried:
    - same workgroup, also changed from my own to WIN default.
    - ping to server still works fine
    - my linux mint laptop CAN see all shares properly
    - in OMV SMB/CIFS I added Extra Options:
    client min protocol = SMB2
    client max protocol = SMB3
    - in WIN 10 samba entries was added to registers according thread "HOW-TO-Connect-to-OMV-SMB-shares-with-Windows-10..."
    - in WIN 10, I use MSA credential (this was not in previous WIN 10 install) - I tried also add my OMV users to local win credentials for server IP and separately for server name
    - when I try to connect manually to server I receive error reffering that connection is not safe and uses SMB1, see picture. Why windows thinks of that? Do I do something wrong?

Do you have any ideas what else should I try? I spent many hours with this and I'm confused. I just used brand new install of win 10 pro, activated by original key, iso image was from microsoft.

Thanks a lot for suggestions.

EDIT:
    I just find, that I used wrong string: "server min protocol = SMB2". I tried as mentioned above "client min protocol = SMB2", but I get result in Diagnostics>Services>SMB/CIFS:
    Ignoring unknown parameter "client min protocol"
    Unknown parameter encountered: "client max protocol"
    Ignoring unknown parameter "client max protocol"
    I just added this to shares as well, but result is still unknown parameters

EDIT2:
    Only one thing helped - enable SMB1 in WIN 10, but this is not what I'm looking for due to safety reasons. How can I force SMB2 on both sides? Why does OMV's samba ignore my client min protocol value?

Bilder

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Steuko () aus folgendem Grund: I just find, that I used wrong string: "server min protocol = SMB2". I tried as mentioned above "client min protocol = SMB2", but I get result in Diagnostics>Services>SMB/CIFS: Ignoring unknown parameter "client min protocol" Unknown parameter encountered: "client max protocol" Ignoring unknown parameter "client max protocol" I just added this to shares as well, but result is still unknown parameters

• its been a while but i only fixed it by upgrading to OMV 4.x

Dell Optiplex 755

• Old thread, I know.. I was having an issue with W10- Today (or recently) my OMV smb shared folders stopped showing up in W10 network folder. I spent an hour messing around with everything and what fixed this IMMEDIATELY for me was to go into the OMV Control Panel go to SERVICES> SMB/CIFS and just toggle the ENABLE off and back on under GENERAL. My OMV shares immediately populated in W10 nework folder. Hope this helps someone searching with the same issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting. The disabled and enabled toggle switch triggered an on-demand configuration update. (With the confirmation banner.)

And this just happened out of the blue? No OMV/Debian updates or changes in configuration?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interesting. The disabled and enabled toggle switch triggered an on-demand configuration update.

It could be related to updates from MS, there have been a number of cumulative updates coming out and in some cases has stopped Network Discovery.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It could be related to updates from MS, there have been a number of cumulative updates coming out and in some cases has stopped Network Discovery.

That had crossed my mind, but the corrective action was to disable and re-enable SMB on OMV? (Maybe this forced Samba re-authentication, on the server side?)

One of the benefits of having versions of Windows was the "grouping" of a known set of attributes and problems, with their version. (Windows Vista, 7, 8, etc.) Now, as it seems, there will be ever changing variables associated with continuous updates of Windows 10.

• Hi,

i had the same Problem with Windows 10 and some Applications like XNView. No Network Drives showed up.
    I add this to the registry and it work now.

Code
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

If the Key doesn´t exists import above as .reg file.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!