ntp.conf Custom - How ?

• Hi,

I'd like to use a custom ntp.conf for time settings but i noticed it gets overwritten every time i reboot omv.

Is there a way to prevent this and use manually edited ntp.conf ?

Thanx !!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Out of curiosity: what do you want to change, that you cannot do in the GUI?

What you want to achieve might be possible by editing /etc/openmediavault/config.xml in the NTP section.

Make a backup of that file before changing it!!! You might break OMV.

• Because OMV default NTP doesn't sync correctly with my time servers. There is always 3-4 mins less than the correct time. Considering OMV is integrated into an Active Directory, having the wrong time is really a problem.

Maybe it's because i'm running OMV into an ESXi VM. I found a way to correctly sync NTP on ESXI VM, but i need to add a custom line into ntp.conf : tos maxdist 30. OMV won't let you add custom lines...

I've found a way to use my custom ntp.conf (might not be perfect) : i replace omv's ntp.conf with mine, systemctl restart ntp then chattr +i /etc/ntp.conf so the file won't be overwritten.

• Careful here - don't sync a VM's time AND use NTP - the timeslicing that the hypervisor does will always fight NTP.

IMHO, forget ESXi timesync (I presume via VMTools?) and just use NTP.... and (thinking it through a little more), don't overprovision your VMs too much otherwise the timeslicing / timesync issue gets worse :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe it's because i'm running OMV into an ESXi VM. I found a way to correctly sync NTP on ESXI VM, but i need to add a custom line into ntp.conf : tos maxdist 30. OMV won't let you add custom lines...

The standard OMV config works on all of my ESXi VMs with pfsense as the time server.

What is overprovision ??

When the total resources of all of your VMs is more than the actual hardware.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any reason why OMV NTP server is always giving me an incorrect time with 3-4 mins less ? What could it be ?

Very strange. Maybe your clock is skewed too far? ntp makes changes in small steps gradually until clock is right. If you correct your clock and then start ntp, does it change the time to 3-4 mins off?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!