Raspberry pi 2 OMV keeps rebooting

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Raspberry pi 2 OMV keeps rebooting

Hi, I setup my plex media server and samba share yesterday and today i am encountering some problems. First off, my raspberry pi keep rebooting. Naturally I tested a different power supply. Same problem. ;( I don't know how to fix this.
      Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, Quad-core processor, 1 GB of RAM.
    • I had the problem with the reboot but also with the Banana Pi after activating it again.
      Sorry for my bad English
      forum-bpi.de Visit on and help us, The Germany Forum :thumbsup:
      github.com/Wolf2000Pi
      Banana Pi /Armbian 3.4.109 / Openmediavault 2.x
      Banana Pi /Armbian 4.11.5-sunxi / Openmediavault 3.0.xx (Test)
      Dell Inspiron One 2205 | Openmediavault 3.0.xx / Kernel 4.7 (Test)
    • I think what @Wolf2000 is trying to get you to do is this;

Since the power button doesn't exist, the above might prevent problems with a function that's not supported on the R-PI. Regardless, there's no harm in trying the different settings on this page to see if rebooting stops.

What are you using for flash media? Is it good quality name brand media (Sandisk, PNY, etc) , and did you test it before burning it? I've found through personal experience that using cheap generic media is an aggravating waste of time.
      Since it's pointless to build on bad media, I've attached a utility for testing your SD-card. (This utility is best used on a formatted but blank card, and it can detect cheap knockoff's by providing the actual true size of the card.)

One of the forum moderators @tkaiser has tested Raspberries extensively and has noted on several occasions that the R-PI's primary problems are low quality or bad SD-cards and weak or under voltage power supplies. The latter is true especially if you're trying to power up a USB hard drive without a powered hub. Either of these issues can cause an R-PI to do odd things.
      (And when you said you tested the power supply - was it the exact same type - possibly producing the same result?)

The current stable version is 3.0.X The latest version has the flashmemory plugin built into the default image, along with some very good command line utilities to check for power supply problems.

Hope this helps.

Wolf2000 wrote:

Sorry for my bad English
      @Wolf2000 Your English is as good as mine. English is my second language too. I speak "American". :D
      Files
      • h2testw_1.4.zip

(213.86 kB, downloaded 29 times, last: )
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.99 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Darkplatinum wrote:

Wolf2000 wrote:

What I have shown in the Picture?
      I did what you showed in the photo, and it worked :). @flmaxey said for me to turn the shutdown to nothing, but i woudnt want to mess around and everything stops working again. Thanks for your help:)
      p.s. The only thing i did was turn it to shutdown, i did not have to enable monitoring.
      Great! You're fixed. (In this particular case, just changing this setting wouldn't cause the R-PI to instantly reboot.)
      You could enable monitoring, if you like. Your call.

Since you're working again, have you given any thought to cloning your SD-card? Once you get OMV configured the way you want it, if you clone your SD-card (with Clonezilla or Win32Diskimager) you'd have a backup. If the R-PI fails to boot, pop in the backup SD-card and you're back up. Also, this would give you the flexibility of trying different or new OMV features and settings without having to worry about messing up your install. Just a thought.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • flmaxey wrote:

Darkplatinum wrote:

Wolf2000 wrote:

I did what you showed in the photo, and it worked :). @flmaxey said for me to turn the shutdown to nothing, but i woudnt want to mess around and everything stops working again. Thanks for your help:)p.s. The only thing i did was turn it to shutdown, i did not have to enable monitoring.
      Great! You're fixed. (In this particular case, just changing this setting wouldn't cause the R-PI to instantly reboot.)You could enable monitoring, if you like. Your call.

Since you're working again, have you given any thought to cloning your SD-card? Once you get OMV configured the way you want it, if you clone your SD-card (with Clonezilla or Win32Diskimager) you'd have a backup. If the R-PI fails to boot, pop in the backup SD-card and you're back up. Also, this would give you the flexibility of trying different or new OMV features and settings without having to worry about messing up your install. Just a thought.
      Is there a way to do this on a linux device (RPi3?) or an iMac? My other questions is, How much bandwidth would my server take? Its running 3 samba shares and a plex server.
    • flmaxey wrote:

Darkplatinum wrote:

Wolf2000 wrote:

I did what you showed in the photo, and it worked :). @flmaxey said for me to turn the shutdown to nothing, but i woudnt want to mess around and everything stops working again. Thanks for your help:)p.s. The only thing i did was turn it to shutdown, i did not have to enable monitoring.
      Great! You're fixed. (In this particular case, just changing this setting wouldn't cause the R-PI to instantly reboot.)You could enable monitoring, if you like. Your call.

When i goto the download page of clonezilla, it says debian. Does this mean i can download it on my raspberry pi 3 (Not the server) and use it? My other questions is, How much bandwidth would my server take? Its running 3 samba shares and a plex server.
    • Darkplatinum wrote:

When i goto the download page of clonezilla, it says debian. Does this mean i can download it on my raspberry pi 3 (Not the server) and use it? My other questions is, How much bandwidth would my server take? Its running 3 samba shares and a plex server.
      The easiest (not necessarily the best) way to clone your SD-card, with Windows, is to use Win32Diskimager.

((Note that it's best to use identical cards for cloning. Since they would be the exact same size, there won't be any issues trying to write images to a slightly smaller card. If you get a size error, because of a slight difference in size, click on proceed anyway.))

- Install Win32Diskimager on a Windows PC, with an SD-card slot.

- Test the new SD-Card with the h2testw1.4 utility. (No short cuts. If a card registers errors, throw it away.))

[**At this point you should mark your working SD-card (with permanent marker?) to make sure you don't mix it up with the new one. Otherwise, you might "read" a blank card and use the blank image to "overwrite" your working card.**]

- Insert your working card and start Win32Diskimager
      **SANITY Check,, make sure you insert your working SD-card at this point.**
      _______________________________________________________________________________

- First click on the folder ICON and navigate to the folder were you'll store your image file. Type a name in the file line. (I used OMV-RPI2.img for this example but you could add a date to the name as well. If you keep the file, it could serve as an additional backup - it can be written again.)

- Click Read.

When it's done, pull your working card and store it somewhere.

-Insert your empty card and with the image file selected, click "Write".
      **Since writing or "flashing" SD-cards is a bit different from reading them, using Etcher to write images is best practice. After a successful write, Etcher verifies the written media against the image.**

- When the write process is finished put the freshly written card in your R-PI. If it boots and all it well, you've tested your clone, you have a known ready to go SD-card to fall back on, AND an image file to rewrite SD-cards if something goes wrong.
      ("Going wrong" might include "testing", "messing around", and in more practical cases, backing out of an update or a software install that goes south.)

Remember to update your image file and stored SD-card after major configuration changes and updates, after you've testing them for awhile. (A week or two.)

On the bandwidth question @tkaiser is the forum expert on the processing power and the max throughput of an R-PI. Here's the bottom line - compared to other ARM devices, the R-PI is not a great or even a good performer. It can do basic tasks, but you can only expect so much from a $29 to $35 SBC. It will work as a static file server and it can stream a movie file, but don't try to stream two movies at once or expect it to handle more than two or so users reading / writing files concurrently.

Further, just because it has a 100mbs Ethernet interface doesn't mean you'll get anywhere near that in actual max throughput because the Ethernet interface shares the same controller with USB ports. You might get 20 to 30 MBS. Again for the asking price ($29-35ish), no one could complain. It's a great tool to learn about Linux, and OMV/NAS at a rock bottom price, but not much more than that.

You might want to look into Plex a bit more closely. If you have a large media collection, the meta-data that Plex collects can add up to several GB, which has the potential to completely fill your SD-card boot drive. Check out their site for more info and keep an eye on your boot card.

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey ().

• I dont have any windows devices. The thing about the SD card filling up, I dont use the SD card to store media. I use USBs. I currently have 1x16GB USB and 2x8GB. BTW, I chose my plex location on my 16GB, will meta data be sent to the SD card still?
    • Darkplatinum wrote:

I dont have any windows devices. The thing about the SD card filling up, I dont use the SD card to store media. I use USBs. I currently have 1x16GB USB and 2x8GB. BTW, I chose my plex location on my 16GB, will meta data be sent to the SD card still?
      Do you have a standard PC, with CD/DVD burner and an SD-card slot? (If not, did someone flash OMV onto your SD-card for you?)
      _________________________________________-

I'm not a Plex user. However, Plex and other OMV plugins can write meta-data, temp files, etc., to OMV's boot drive (the SD-card). Where Plex is concerned, the amount of meta-data depends on the size of your media library. Since you seem to have a modest amount of data, on a 16GB USB drive, meta-data produced by Plex shouldn't be an issue.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Darkplatinum wrote:

Well I have a raspberry pi that i use normally as a computer, and my family has a Mac that i used to burn the SD card. The mac has a usb slot and i use a micro sd to USB adapter for reading stuff on the Rpi.
      A MAC? OK. Clonezilla live - the live CD - will run on a MAC with OS X. (You'd need to download Clonzilla at the MAC and burn it to a CD.) You can get it here -> Clonezilla

You'd need a 2nd SD-card, preferably identical to your working SD-card. (A larger SD-card would work, but an identical card would be better.) Boot the MAC on the Clonzilla live CD, insert the working SD-card and use the "device to "image" option. After that's done, remove your working SD-card, then use the "image to device" option to write the image to the new blank card. Put the newly written card in R-PI for a test. If it boots, OK.

Now you'd have backup. (Important if you're using an R-PI for your primary PC.)

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • I don't have a MAC to test Clonzilla, or know what model of MAC your family has. You might want to burn a Clonzilla CD and verify that it boots, before buying a second SD-card.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Darkplatinum wrote:

The mac has a usb slot and i use a micro sd to USB adapter for reading stuff on the Rpi.

Then install homebrew if not already happened, do

Source Code

1. brew install ddrescue pxz
      And use ddrescue since this tool is made for the job (unlike this Win32Diskimager crap that is recommended for no reason since it DOES NOT VERIFY what it pretends to do. Rule of thumb how to deal with Win32Diskimager: ignore its existence)

Error mounting sambashare

When you created an image you can use then pxz to compress it (yourimage.img becomes yourimage.img.xz) and once you need this image later you can directly burn this compressed image using Etcher. Best compression ratio you get when specifying 'pxz -9' but this will take ages on slow Macs.