Best way to set up a multi odroid HC1 network with Seagate 5TB drives in a raid 5

• Hi,
    I am new to the odroid OMV world and I love what I see so far. I have 1 Odroid HC1 up and running with a 5TB drive set up as a SMB file share for my windows home network. I have 3 more HC1s with a couple more 5TB drives and I might throw in a 1 TB SSD or 2 via USB. I have been looking for a good source to guide me in setting up all 4 devices to expand the size of the data drive as well as create a good backup and repair scheme for the network drive in a RAID 5. I see how to set them up individually, just not working together. Not sure how to get them configured as either a master / slave configuration or a server / client configuration or which one would be better. I also plan on setting it up as cloud based system so I can access the files remotely.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Denver

• OS/Debian information
    Distributor ID: debian
    Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)
    Release: 8.10
    Codename: Jessie
    openmediavault information
    Release: 3.0.95
    Date
    Sun Dec 24 23:31:18 EST 2017
    Hostname
    xxxxxx
    System information
    Linux odroidxu4 4.9.61-odroidxu4 #12 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 23 01:34:59 PST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

• RAID 5

...is always a really bad idea and does only work with local disks (not disks spread accross 'cluster nodes' as you're trying to implement it).

create a good backup and repair scheme for the network drive in a RAID 5

RAID is not backup. It feels weird having to write this sentence these days.

• Tkaiser,

actually both. This is for my home network and right now just trying to get stuff figured out, tweaked, perfected and then I hope to really expand on it later after 64 bit boards are available. Maybe start with a RAID 1 and move to a RAID 5 or just implement a RAID 5. Looking to be able to expand to 20, 30 or what ever size when I need to so I thought using the HC1 boards would be perfect.

• Correct me if I am wrong, is a RAID 1 a mirror, a duplicate copy of the primary drive? (this is considered hardware redundancy or a backup copy, am I right?)

In the past, I created a RAID 10 that striped the data across 2 500GB drives and made mirrors across 2 more 500GB drives. I set it up to scan once every other week for errors and automatically correct the errors if any were found. This ensured there was valid data on the primary drives and in the event of a bad block it would, in essence, repair itself from the mirrored drives. The problem was if 1 of the drives failed it took the system down.

First obstacle to overcome. I have one HC1 up and running with a 5TB server drive. I have the second one running as well, and a third. Is there a way to enable OMV to see a second and third and a 4th HC1 and their drives? I am hoping I can and also be able to combine 2 drives so the network is seen as a 10 TB drive and if I want I can add another HC1 and make it larger yet.

Next, if I can combine the drives I see in my mind I should be able to set up at least a RAID 1 to mirror the data to a few other drives. Then maybe figure out how to do a RAID 1 + 5 in the future, if possible.

• Correct me if I am wrong, is a RAID 1 a mirror, a duplicate copy of the primary drive?

In my personal opinion RAID-1 is just a stupid waste of disks since it's not 1990 any more but almost 2018 and we can do a lot better (see here for some explanation). Same is true for RAID-5 but all of this doesn't matter for you since you try the impossible. You have nice NAS devices for single drive use and can not make use of any RAID level in a reasonable fashion (since RAID requires local and not network storage though you could add other useless layers of complexity to build RAID with networked drives to make it totally unreliable).

As @ness1602 explained you could play around with cluster storage technologies but none of this is useful/reasonable and nothing of this is supported in OMV out of the box or at all.

If you want data protection then learn how to properly implement backup and forget about RAID and fancy cluster stuff.

• Thank you for your input tkaiser and thank you for the idea to use glusterfs ness1602. Using Glusterfs is exactly what I am trying to achieve. I do not just want a 2 or 4 bay NAS, I want to create an expandable one. I found these articles that should help me along,

https://magazine.odroid.com/ar…-hc1-part-1-server-setup/

https://magazine.odroid.com/ar…art-2-client-performance/

oh, And of course I will have it back up to something somehow, that is to figure out later. I totally see using glusterfs and some arm boards for bigger better things.

Glusterfs would be a nice add in to OMV, just sayin.

• Glusterfs would be a nice add in to OMV

Nope, since OMV is about making reasonable storage setups accessible.

With Glusterfs and your 'toy grade hardware' you only waste ressources for nothing, trash the performance and really gain nothing unless you're an storage expert and are able to eliminate the 'NAS head(s)' as another single point of failure. I'm talking about making storage accessible for Windows and macOS clients (which is a matter of SMB and AFP protocols... and file/directory name encodings and metadata representation you' realize only later when your Glusterfs attempt ate/destroyed this already). When you want to use your Glusterfs only with *nix systems and can rely on the Glusters client or NFS then this might be different. But this is not a typical NAS use case then and also nothing where OMV could help.

• Question on OMV functionality, I have 2 HC1 devices running currently. Is there a way to set up and manage both HC1 devices from the one server webpage or do I have to do this from different webpages. What are the options with OMV and 2 or 3 HC1s? I am just looking to learn and try stuff and see what I can do and make.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to set up and manage both HC1 devices from the one server webpage or do I have to do this from different webpages.

Different web pages.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!