System SSD size

• For my new NAS I am thinking about getting an SSD and I'm not sure, if I should buy a 32GB or 64GB SSD.

At the moment my system drive just uses 2.5GB, but who knows, what I'm gonna do in the near future? ;)

How much diskspace need your NASes?

• For my new NAS I am thinking about getting an SSD and I'm not sure, if I should buy a 32GB or 64GB SSD.

At the moment my system drive just uses 2.5GB, but who knows, what I'm gonna do in the near future? ;)

How much diskspace need your NASes?

I use 16GB 2.5 inch SATA SSDs which are very inexpensive when bought used on ebay.

I am currently using only 6.7GB on an almost three year old upgraded to OMV 3.x install. I have installed quite a few plugins, and additional other non-OMV packages along the way and do not see myself running out of room.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you aren't using plex or docker, 8gb is more than enough in most cases. If you are using plex and/or docker, there is no right answer. It would depend on how large your media collection is and/or how many docker images you have pulled down.

• If you aren't using plex or docker, 8gb is more than enough in most cases. If you are using plex and/or docker, there is no right answer. It would depend on how large your media collection is and/or how many docker images you have pulled down.

Is your comment about plex based on having its database volume folder on the rootfs? If so, not sure why anyone would want to do that.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is your comment about plex based on having its database volume folder on the rootfs? If so, not sure why anyone would want to do that.

I wasn't suggesting that people do that. I just know that many people have filled the OS drive with their plex database. Some have put it there on purpose since their OS drive is an SSD. Either way, I was just mentioning things I have seen use considerably more space than normal.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Where is the database stored by default when the plugin is first installed, and the user does not make a choice for the database location?

I know that the rootfs drive can not be selected in the plugin, but IIRC that is the default setting (in /var), and unless the user changes it away from there, that's what they get.

(I understand that plex will not even start without a defined location for the database, so it has to be placed somewhere, and not knowing anything else at the outset, in /var on the rootfs is not unreasonable. But perhaps the potential consequences of that choice might/should be pointed out somewhere?)

--

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where is the database stored by default when the plugin is first installed, and the user does not make a choice for the database location?

It is in /var/lib/plexmediasever. When installing the plugin, the plex plugin doesn't disable the plex service. So, it works just by installing the plugin without configuring anything since plex uses /var/lib/plexmediaserver by default. The fact the plugin doesn't allow you to pick the system drive should tell people that is not a desired config.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!