Bad disk? Repeating errors...

• Hi all,

So when I first built my server I was using FreeNAS. I was getting some errors, so I switched to OMV thinking that it might be the OS, but now I am getting the same issues.

Googling the error brought me to this page: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2272486 which showed a user with a similar issue who had a power supply issue, with the 12v dropping to 10.2v. I checked my system BIOS and all my PSU stats are exactly what they should be.

I had this error before, so I found the drive ATA2 that was having the errors and switched SATA ports and SATA cables, and the problem persisted.

Could I have a bad drive? A bad PSU? Is my motherboard/CPU incompatible?

EDIT: I am also having issues where Plex is not able to read any data at all off my filesystem. Could this be related?

• EDIT: I am also having issues where Plex is not able to read any data at all off my filesystem. Could this be related?

In almost all cases this is a permissions problem. Have you verified that you have the correct permissions set?

But if the drive is physically incapable of being read, correct or incorrect permissions won't matter.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• I thought that might be the issue but I'm not exactly sure how to check for that...
    I am able to read/write through my SMB share but Plex cannot access it.

EDIT: Changed permissions using chmod and Plex is working correctly now.

• Can you please post the smart values for the drive here in the forum ?

Is this what you were asking for?

• Can you please post the smart values for the drive here in the forum ?

Is this what you were asking for?

• 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count -O--CK 200 200 000 - 9

This and 'bus error' are an indication that you had SATA cable/connector problems and might still have. Internal SATA connectors are rated for 50 matings max and the combination of dust and grease (that's what we have on our fingers) is a great way to introduce connector troubles.

Wrt voltage you would need to measure at the drive since why should voltage values proudly presented by your BIOS be of any meaning (check Ohm's law)

• This and 'bus error' are an indication that you had SATA cable/connector problems and might still have. Internal SATA connectors are rated for 50 matings max and the combination of dust and grease (that's what we have on our fingers) is a great way to introduce connector troubles.
    Wrt voltage you would need to measure at the drive since why should voltage values proudly presented by your BIOS be of any meaning (check Ohm's law)

Thanks, I'll switch out SATA connectors again and see if the issue is still there. It may be my motherboard, which I would not be too surprised about.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!