Suggestions for Disk setup for OMV as backup server

• OMV 3.x (stable)
    • Suggestions for Disk setup for OMV as backup server

I have migrated my NAS storage to a new machine (a Ryzen 1500 6-core build, with 32GB DDR4 memory and 10TB of storage using zfs mirror). I'm going to use my old OMV machine (an older AMD FX4100 quadcore, with 2GB memory) as a backup for my new NAS box.

The old machine has 7 2TB WD red drives. What would be the best way to set up these drives? I was considering setting it up as a RAID5 configuration, to get maximum space. Single disk redundancy for the backup should be ok, no? With only 2GB of memory on this machine, I don't think I can set up a zfs RAIDZ config. Do I even need redundancy for a backup machine? My existing backup machine just has a bunch of single disks that I write selective backups to. No redundancy.

Thoughts?
    • yds wrote:

Single disk redundancy for the backup should be ok, no? With only 2GB of memory on this machine, I don't think I can set up a zfs RAIDZ config.
      You're talking about 7 old 2TB drives, yes? If so be assured that the first time one of those disks will be failing your whole array will be gone soon after when you try to replace the failed disk since rebuild/resilver puts a lot of stress on the remaining disks and as soon as another drive shows a failure your array is lost. Unfortunately with RAIDZ-1 this is even more probable since ZoL (ZFS on Linux) unlike Solaris does not implement sequential resilver but simply walks along the btrees which can be considered almost worst case random IO scenario for the remaining disks (with RAID5 it would be more of a sequential data access pattern which is less demanding).

Wrt backup it depends how you define this word. Most people here think of backup as 'some data copied to somewhere else' (fire&forget mode, never tested) which is not my definition (I'm thinking about real and continuous data protection, tested restores that finish in a certain amount of time and also preparing for 'desaster recovery' and also caring about stuff like file/directory name encoding problems and metadata representation). So most probably of no help here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().