Mirror to Raid 5 or 10 without data loss

• Hi guys

I was wonderin i have an omv v3 install running for a fee months have a few question

I have 2 x 2tb drives in mirror raid at the moment

If i add a 3rd 2 tb drive can i upgrade the raid to raid 5 from mirror raid 1 and also is itpossible the new drive is a different brand or model tothe other two but has same capacity

Thanks

Ryan

• Hi there!

I'm afraid converting an existing RAID1(Mirror) to a RAID5(1xParity) is all but easy. The best way to accomplish this is to copy all your data off to another location, e.g. USB-HDD, then build your RAID5 with the 3rd member disk. Remember to remove the RAID1, wipe the physical disks which were formerly used as a RAID1 before (re-)building the RAID5 array. Once done, remount the new RAID via GUI. Then you can copy your data back to your new RAID.

Keep the USB drive in a secure location for backup if anything goes wrong!

To achieve the best performance in terms of reliability and working speed, it's advised to use identical drives ( Same brand and model ). Refrain from using disks with different rotational speeds as this would hamper your RAID's overall performance.

Hope I could help!

-Bandi

1x HP ProLiant N36L ( 2011 ) with 4xWesternDigital WD20EFRX bonded as RAID6 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.
    2x HP ProLiant Gen8 ( 2015 ) with 4x WesternDigital WD20EFRX bonded as RAID6 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.
    1x Fujitsu SS 4200E ( 2006 ) with 3x HITACHI HUA723020ALA640 bonded as RAID5 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.

All servers don't use any flash-based storage for the operating system. The OS boots off a partition on the RAID itself!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!