Requesting help moving from Greyhole to unionFS + SnapRaid

• I have recently reinstalled OMV to go from 2x to 4x. I have been using OMV for a long time with greyhole. I see there is no greyhole plugin for 4x which I was caught off guard by. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to convert my greyhole setup into SnapRaid/UnionFS. I found a thread suggesting to go the SnapRaid and UnionFs route.

I want to validate my assumptions and get some guidance on what he need to do to transition from greyhole.

My assumptions:

• UnionFS is for creating one large file system across multiple drives. For apps like plex, I should be pointing to the file system created by unionFS and then union will distribute the data across disks.
    • SnapRaid provides data redundancy

Regarding my hard disks:

I have three 3TB drives and one 6TB drive that are all ~90% full. I understand I should set the 6tb drive as the parity drive as it is the biggest. Right now i'm trying to do an initial snapraid sync and i'm getting "internal server error". I think i'm doing something wrong.

• Do I need to move all my media off of the parity drive?
    • Do I have to move my all my files from each hard disk's .greyhole folder on to a single drive?
    • Should I go a ahead and delete all the greyhole symbolic links from the "landing zone" disk?
    • Will I have to free up some space or move some files around for the initial sync to work?

UnionFS

• Should I add my snap raid "parity drive" to be a part of the unified file system?

Thanks!! :D

• The parity drive must be empty. It will only contain parity. In the UnionFilesystem plugin you have to select Parity and unselect Data. In your case, it will contain 3TB of parity. The rest will be unused/wasted (I would probably make 2 partitions and use the second partition for backup data, so that it isn't completely wasted).

The Parity drive should not be included in the MergerFS pool.

For your other questions about Greyhole, no idea.

• The parity drive must be empty. It will only contain parity. In the UnionFilesystem plugin you have to select Parity and unselect Data. In your case, it will contain 3TB of parity. The rest will be unused/wasted (I would probably make 2 partitions and use the second partition for backup data, so that it isn't completely wasted).

The Parity drive should not be included in the MergerFS pool.

For your other questions about Greyhole, no idea.

I think you meant "In the SnapRAID plugin..."

And it is correct that the parity drive should be completely empty of any other data. If it's 90% full already, it sounds like you may need to buy a new drive to free up enough space. If that's the case, you may want to buy an 8TB drive. The parity drive must be the largest, and it's not a bad idea to give yourself some growing room for future data drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!