Routing for Two Network Routers (failover)

• Hi,

I read the post 2 interfaces >> dns configuration, and it's not quite what I need.

I too have two routers which I want to use in parallel as we are saturating one link, and the second link is doing nothing. Also, we are experiencing intermittent problems on the one line.

I have OMV 0.4.31 (latest) and I have installed the Routing plugin. I have read around the routing tables information for this sort of thing, but am struggling with understanding and creating the correct information. Can someone please help with the exact commands. For example, one ISP router is available on 192.168.0.2 as a fixed IP gateway, and the second is available as a gateway on 192.168.0.3. defining either as the main gateway gives access to the internet. However, I would like to have both together. My OMV is installed with dnsmasq and as a dhcp server on 192.168.0.12

What I would really appreciate is what routing information do I need to allow me to utilize both routers in parallel?

I know I need a routing table and routing configs, but I'm lost as to where to start. Please help.

Thanks in advance,

YellowShed

• I don't know if thats what you're trying to do is possible with this packages but, what you're looking for, is called VRRP on real routers.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Sorry, that's not an option, I'm afraid. I only have the hardware available at the moment as two separate routers. Is it possible to configure them as load sharing/failover?

Thanks for any help

YellowShed

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just went through this when I got a second internet connection at work. I recommend getting a TP-Link TL-R470T+. It does exactly what you want, cheap, and is easy to setup. You can plug both of your routers into it (I did).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, you can have two gateways. As for metric, I'm guessing your connections are different speeds? It allows you to enter a ratio for load balancing.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!