New Ryzen based Server

• I did a quick setup of my freshly build Ryzen Datastore, which actually replaces my Old one based on an i5 4670k

Following Parts are in use:

• Board: Asus Crosshair Hero VI
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800x @3,7 Ghz ( 8Cores/16Threads)
    • CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-U12-S SE AM4
    • RAM: 4x 8GB Crucial Value DDR4 2133 Mhz
    • GPU: Palit Geforce GT 710 1GB
    • PSU: Thermaltake London 550W
    • OS-HDD: 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    • Storage Disk 1: 8 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    • Storage Disk 2[/b]: 8 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    • Storage Disk 3[/b]: 8 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    • Storage Disk 3[/b]: 8 TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    • Storage Disk Configuration: JBOD
    • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70
    • Betriebsystem NAS: Debian 9 OpenMediaVault 4

Some informations beforehand, I am an long time OMV User Since 1.0 onwards till now. First System build should be a simple Fileserver and was equipped with an Asrock E350m1 with 2x4GB RAM and was replaced later with an Asrock QC5000M-ITX/PH for PLEX usage and a bit more networking stuff. A bit later the system grew out of its ITX casing (Bitfenix Prodigy), since the capabilities for HDDs were expanded with an LSI RAID Card the case was not able to take more HDDs and the system was moved in my used Corsair C70 Case. Poorly issues with one SATA Port on the Mainboard ( gave strange errors ) and the fear of a wider Hardware Failure brought up another change in Hardware, together with the need of more speed for Game Servers such as Minecraft or ARK for Home use the system was swapped to an i5-4670k on an Asus z87-k Mainboard. Normaly i had planned to upgrade again a few years later ... but issues with an degreding LVM on the old disks and resulting errors forced me to replaced the LVM created through the years with 1x1 TB / 1x 3TB / 1x 4TB / 1x 5TB drives with fresh 8 TB Seagate ones.

An error trying to expand the LVM to the new Disk(s) occured and forced me to try to first convert the LVM to 64 Bit version, which failed due to the disk errors which mainly caused the degredation. Upon trying to repair/convert all content on the LVM was lost ( was backed up before ), so my decission was born to build an actual and forcefull stable system for my needs.

In order to other threads in this board with absolutely no experience with the new Ryzen Mainboards / CPUs, i decided to go the Route of experimenting with the System before i go in Production:

Test Run 1
    -> Install of OMV 3.x on Ryzen -> Failed due to Kernel Incompability in the Sources
    Test Run 2
    -> Swap in working Copy on a SSD from an old installation with OMV 3.x -> Failed due to Kernel Incompability ( in Both cases system did not Boot )
    Test Run 3
    -> Swap in working Copy on a SSD from an old installation with OMV 3.x patched with Kernel 4.11 out of Backports -> Worked flawlessly
    Test Run 4
    -> Clean install of OMV 4.x (Kernel 4.13) on Ryzen -> Worked fine.
    Test Run 5
    -> Swap in working Copy on a SSD from anold installation with OMV 4.x (Kernel 4.13) -> Worked fine aswell.

Outgoing from the results , i decided to stay at the installed OMV 4.x installation and are amazed from the speed of the system now.

If there are any questions for the system or in general, feel free to ask here :)

• Hello,

Great write up! I really like your choice in hardware and your testing methodology.

I will be doing a Ryzen upgrade myself in the next month and am curious to your input on this. I have 3 server currently running 24/7, 2 are local and the 3rd is an offsite that is relatively "new" so this one wont need an upgrade. However my 2 local server are relatively old and I want to upgrade both of them for better performance and lower TDP.

Current system(s)

Supermico 24 bay hot swap chassis 4U
    2XL5640 6C/12T processors
    24GB ddr3 ECC ram
    4 port Ethernet NIC cards
    LSI-9211-8i HBA cards
    Dual platinum 720W redundant PSU's
    70GB Intel SSD (OS OMV 4.x)
    10X10TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro SATA HDD in Raid 6 (FS=XFS)

Total Watt's idle 200W
    Total Watt's Under load ~360 (each)

Needless to say I really want to not only lower electricity but also lower heat, as that is my #1 enemy right now.

So I plan on having 1 main server (we'll call this server "A")
    And a local redundant backup (called "B")

Server A should be more powerful than server B so I don't need the same processor/ram as A.

The L5640's (dual) passmark is 9727, so I'm aiming around the same

These are my thoughts for Server "A"
    Processor: R5 2400G (passmark score of 9269)
    Ram: 16GB DDR4 (whatever is the cheapest/ reliable)

Below is my thought for server B
    Processor: R3 2200G
    Ram: 16GB DDR4 (whatever is the cheapest/ reliable)

Here is my biggest issue. Right now I have 2, very stable, working servers that I really don't want to rebuild the OS, not only the dockers and VM's that I have running on them.

So I'd really love to just swap out the parts, and continue using the the server with all the same configuration.

What are your thoughts so far?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!