3.x vs 4.x

• Team,

Fairly new to the forum (first post) and have been testing both versions.

But...

1. Which one to get?
    2. Is 4.x considered Alpha or Beta?
    2. Is the intent to port the available plugins on 3.x to 4.x?

I installed both versions and compared differences (also reviewed the 4.x features on fb page /openmediavault/). Still have not been able to make a decision on which one for the permanent installation.

Thanks in advance!

Joed

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which one to get?

Are all the plugins you need available on 4.x? I use OMV 4.x on all of my systems.

Is 4.x considered Alpha or Beta?

Neither in my opinion. I think it is well past beta but features are still being added.

Is the intent to port the available plugins on 3.x to 4.x?

The plugins that have been ported already will most likely be the only plugins ported (at least by me).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I believe 4.x is still considered in beta, but only because it has not been released as final.

Many, but not all of the 3.x plugins have been ported to 4.x. It's possible, and perhaps even likely that some 3.x plugins will not be ported to 4.x, and using dockers in those cases has been suggested.

I have read here on the forum that there will be no more enhancements to OMV 3.x, only bug/security fixes, and those will run out when upstream Debian decides that 3.x is EOL and ceases support sometime around June 2018, with possible ongoing support by the LTS team until June 2020.

Having said that, my plan here is to begin migrating the few apps I use here that are supported by plugins on 3.x, but that do not have a corresponding 4.x plugin to dockers running on 3.x. And then upgrade the machine to 4.x at a later date to 4.x. So far I have migrated Sonarr to docker, and have Deluge, and SABnzbd to do next.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what that might be.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Some days ago I "upgraded" my system from omv3 to omv4. With the infos here in the forum the procedure was like out-of-the-box. I didn't upgrade the system by command line, I installed completely fresh on another disk. At the moment everything I need works as expected:

• openmediavault-clamav 4.1.4-1
    • openmediavault-omvextrasorg 4.1.2
    • openmediavault-docker-gui 4.0.1 from docker ce repo with emby and unifi container
    • openmediavault-zfs 4.0 with kernel 4.9
    • vdr2.2.0 from default stretch repo

My zpool shows that it's possible to upgrade the pool to get some new features. But this means that there is no way back to omv3 in worst case. So I decided to wait with this "zpool upgrade" until omv4 is stable:

@votdev, @ryecoaaron, @subzero79 and @nicjo814: A BIG thank you for all the work and time you guys invesigate!

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I ended up installing 4.x on my system as I was able to install most of the needed plugins.

In that regards, I was able to install transmission-daemon from apt-get. It took me some time to find out file locations, etc. But, it is running like a champ.

So far, everything that I tested (Webdav, syncthing, remote mount & rsysnc) is working without problems. Will keep testing.

Thanks again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!