ZFS Degraded Pool

• I am at a loss tu understand why this motherboard is showing errors with zfs going t get the files on a external drive and then start again with just a few files...if the same problem comes up again despite new sata cables and psu then I will have to build a new rig or buy something reliable....
    I still think zfs is over rated!!
    Got any recommendations to new rig please say....

bookie56

• All good and sound info....going to check out your links for reference!
    Thanks for your time!!

bookie56

• Hi guys!
    Well, I have been busy and finally got the components together for a new rig with ECC ram....but that was easier said than done....
    When I ordered the memory for some reason I couldn't order both at the same time....anyway, the first one arrived and didn't work....so had to wait for the second one and time just got the better of me...
    I now have the following components:
    Chassis: Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl
    Mobo: ASUS X99-M WS/SE, Socket-2011-3
    CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4 Processor
    Memory: Samsung - DDR4 - 32 GB - DIMM 288-pin 2400 MHz / PC4-19200, CL17, 1.2 V, ECC
    System Drive: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 PCIe SSD
    Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15

PSU: XFX 850W Semi Modular
    That was just for the main installation and then I have the drives from the old installation and after setting up OMV for ZFS I could add my zpool no problems....
    I didn't get any errors on zpool status so I forced a scrub to make sure things are as they should be....and that is where I am at the moment....
    The scrub hasn't thrown up any errors at all and I will update this when it is finished....
    Finally things are starting to look up....

bookie56

• Hi Mate!

Yep....everything turned out ok...

I am now adding a couple of 4TB drives in mirror for some of my personal files that need the data integrity....(took to long to accumulate...;))

So, at the moment things are OK...just need to transfer my files from the old personal server to the new one...

• New problem... :)
    When I installed zfs and then connected my 6 original 3TB drives the original pool mounted and was there every time I rebooted until adding the two 4TB drives and creating a new pool that things went wron...
    As I understand zpools are automatically mounted when created and that isn't a problem for the new pool because it was created on this machine...but the original one wasn't....
    so, my thinking is I need to mount the original pool automatically everytime I boot...
    Anyone got any info on that?

bookie56

• Ok! Panic over...God! I wish I was hit on the back of the head with a 4x2 sometimes...

The situation was when I first installed ZFS and then added the OMV plugin my origianl pool was recognised straight away and I didn't need to import it.....bit strange...but didn't think any more about it untill I added the new pool....

So, as you know the code for import is:

Code
    # zpool import Rocky

And after that I ran the:

Code
    # zfs mount -a

Now my original Rocky pool is available...and before anyone asks why Rocky...one of my cats two cats that had to be put down last year....after developing complications at the ripe old ages of 16...Rocky and Simson were both Holy Birma cats and named by the young boy of the cat breeder we used here in Sundsvall Sweden...Rocky after Sylvester Stallone's Rocky and Simson after the series Simsons....Rocky lived up to his name but Simson became Sir Simson because of his graceful way....

Sorry, getting carried away there....working from home I had their company day in day out for 16 years and it is a bit quiet around here without them...

Anyway, back to computers....

Now both of my zpools are automatically listed as shown below:

I can now concentrate on file transfers from customers....

bookie56

• Just a quick one...What should I Think about when clicking on update OMV from the web user interface...
    I am thinking regard to having a zfs file system...
    Just so that I don.t do something stupid....

Thanks!

bookie56

• Hi mate!
    Thanks for the indepth information... :)
    I have not had time to check the hardware on the old rig but will do so when I get a mo....
    Yes, I am happy with the new rig..... :) '
    Thanks for coming by....

bookie56

• Hi flmaxey :D
    I have had some time to test the old rig and I can't find any problems....
    I four ram slots and I have tested each and every stick in each place without a hiccup...I don't have any errors for other hardware...but it is getting on a bit....
    Anyway, I thought I would use it as an extra back up of other files....
    I have 6 1 TB drives and obvioulsly I don't want to use ZFS because it just kept on showing errors...
    I have an old software raid with lvm on an old server and the drives still are OK....
    I am not looking for performance just a little bit of fall back if a drive gets ify...
    I keep coming back to this question because I just have so much on ...don't remember everything....
    I want to pool the drives but have some redundancy....
    What is the most reliable (not using zfs) for this scenario not forgetting it isn't about performance just a little redundancy and access to them combined...
    I thinke an extra safe guard when moving drives and replacing is by addiding by-device id.....

bookie56

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just as a point of reference....installing to a usb....isn't that frowned upon?

Not if you install the flashmemory plugin right away.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!