ZFS Degraded Pool

• Hi guys!
    I Went to the lengthy process of backing up all my customer files and then buying 6 new 3tb drives that I bought at different times...I created a ZFS pool with three mirrored pairs which is an expensive way of doing things but been nagged about security ....so I listened!

I add the disks by disk-id and checked that every thing was OK and then went about adding my customer files.....I don't leave my computers on 24/7 just find it a waste of electricity and don't need access 24/7...

I have had a couple of hickups regarding a single disk been missing...and then coming up errors etc...

Thankfully disk by-id lets me see which culprit is causing the problem....

The system is in a "scrub" state to repair the system....I used up the last of my 3tb drives last week (spare) and have no more but my supplier is sending a new one that will be here tomorrow....I have spent a lot of money with this company and they don't question anything...we will send a new one to replace the damaged one under guarantee... :)

This is the state of play at the moment so that you can see the scrub in progress...

Not asking for help because that isn't necessary just little info for those getting into ZFS :)

Should of said...my supplier sells the harddrives by serial number...that way they keep track of guarantees on Products...not all companies do that and lose Money....

• Hi flmaxey!
    I collected the new drive yesterday and have attached it but not replaced it via terminal yet....

Does anyone know if it is OK to remove the drive that is faulty because as soon as I ran zpool status I had the following:

I would appreciate an answer to this one...don't want to run the zpool command to remove the problem drive before being sure....;)

Here is the smart info for that drive:

bookie56

• Did you do a „zpool clear“ or why are all the values resetted to 0?

Didn’t know that it’s possible for the pool to resilver on it’s own, without command line input by an admin.

I read that it’s possible to reboot while resilvering is in process. The process starts where it stopped after the reboot. But what happens if you change the disk while resilvering, I don’t know.

I would wait until resilvering is done and after that I wouldn’t remove the defective disk. I would do the following:

1. shutdown the server
    2. place the new disk on a free sata/sas port and don’t remove the old disk, if possible
    3. restart the server
    4. start resilvering with full parity
    5. when resilvering is done, shutdown the server
    6. remove the defective disk

What dobyou and the other guys think about this procedure in this situation?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Hi hoppel118!
    That is exactly what I am doing at the moment....
    BTW I didn't start resilvering....did itself....
    I didn't do a zpool clear...
    After resilvering I had this:

And now I have added the new drive and will post when that is finished:

bookie56

• I am not a zfs expert. I use it for my home server only. But in my opinion it doesn’t look as it should.

Maybe anybody else can tell us... :)

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ok, thank you! ;)

Bye

• Hi
    I didn't see any problems with the drive readings either...
    After restart of the computer I had the same error for the replacement drive and degraded state again...sorry didn't take any pics...

I turned of the computer and replaced the sata cable....

When I restarted I had a checksum error of 5 so I ran:

Code
    # zpool clear Rocky /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K2TE38XH

And then I had the following:

I am going to scrub the system to see if anything else comes up....

bookie56

• I don’t think that this has something to do with zfs. Never seen such a behavior before. But it’s possible. Seemingly you had bad luck with your new disk.

I also replaced a faulty disk (wd red 4tb) of my raidz2 last week. Resilvering worked as expected for me.

Greetings Hoppel

• Ok, that’s weird... Sorry, can’t help you with this. No idea at the moment.

• Well, every time I start the computer it goes into repair mode...

zpool clear (pool) doens't help it just shows the drive as faulted....

Just about had enough of this so called system that improves data security....

I have a backup of the files and will erase everything and start over...

If this continues - then ZFS is just a waste of time...

bookie56

• HTML
    root@rocky:~# for disk in /dev/sdg ; do smartctl -x $disk ; done | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' http://sprunge.us
    <html>
     <head>
      <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
     </head>
     <body>
      <h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1>
      The server has either erred or is incapable of performing the requested operation.<br /><br />

Comes up as above?

• Hi guys!
    I am not counting my chickens yet but...
    I added a new RM750x Moduler PSU and 6 new sata cables and I didn't even get an initial problem after restart

I am going to run a scrub to see what gives...

This is just after starting the scrub:

I am getting scrub errors on the same three drives....but no error from last drive.....I am not willing to believe that I have three more new drives that are faulty and haven't seen a sign that one is faulty yet.....but if a scrub keeps bringing up the same errors ..what do I do?

Not really willing to believe in hardware problems....just wondering if I back up the files again and remove and readd the pool and just add a few files to see what gives.....

This has already cost time and money and it is supposed to give us piece of mind....When!!!

bookie67

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!