Unable to access share out of the blue.

• OMV 3.x (stable)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unable to access share out of the blue.

System Setup:
      Dell R710
      esxi 6.5
      OMV is on it's on vm

So last month my personal computer was no longer able to access my raid share from OMV. I haven't made any config software or hardware wise. I'm also no longer able to R/W but from one PC which is my windows server VM that I use for Plex. I also have another VM which is ubunutu 16.x headless server I use for software such as Ombi, Sonnar, Radarr, rtorrent, etc. They no longer can access these areas as it states the user doesn't have the right to. I'm at a loss here and I've been trying for a month unsuccessfully to diagnose it. Any and all help would be oh so appreciated.

The post was edited 1 time, last by cyris69 ().

• While your permissions appear to be open, they have to be uniform top to bottom.

- In your first screen; in setting permissions for your shared folder named "RAID". Make the Recursive toggle switch green or on; and click on apply. (This pushes permissions down through the file / folder structure.)

- In the Samba (SMB) share, you could try "Guests Only".

- If you think the sudden change is an OMV issue there's a plugin called Resetperms. You might want to install and try it.
      This plugin will install two new tabs in the Shared Folders page. The new "Reset Permissions" tab, will allow you to force permissions changes on your Shared folders' files and folders. The new "Shared Folder in Use" tab will show you OMV's references to your shared folder which can be useful in other cases.

- While the share is named RAID - is the share actually on a RAID array?

When you say "out of the blue" - did this happen after an OMV update? (Or, perhaps, an automated ESXi update?)

Note that if you're running OMV in a ESXi VM, ESXi is actually in control of the physical disks. It might be worth while to look through ESXi forums for a case of this behavior.

Do you have WinSCP or PuTTY installed on a Windows PC?
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.95 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119