OMV 3.0 + SnapRaid - Motherboard died. I'm RMA'ing for a new one. What do I need to consider when replacing the mobo?

• Hi,

My motherboard died the other day. Actually they believe it was the CPU. I can only IPMI into the server, nothing more, no VGA at all. They've instructed me to submit an RMA.

What issues will/can I run in to when installing a new mobo? it should be the same model. What can I do to mitigate any risk?

Thanks!

• does the server boot? With webgui and SSH access, what do you need VGA for?

Anyway...you should be able to swap out the mobo and boot the machine. Doesn't even need to be the same model. (Yay Linux!) Assuming nothing has changed your drive mount points, snapraid will not care. In my mind there is no risk here. I'd probably run a snapraid status and snapraid diff before running a sync just to be sure everything is happy though.

• Hello,

could you provide the motherboard model. Could be nice to know if a specific model is faulty ( a little google search to check )

• I too am having to setup a new system (OS drive died) with existing SnapRAID. I believe the recommedation is to disconnect all the data disks first, setup the next system, then connect the data disks. I too am curious how to get it all back working. Best to see if you can get help over at https://zackreed.me/

• I too am having to setup a new system (OS drive died) with existing SnapRAID. I believe the recommedation is to disconnect all the data disks first, setup the next system, then connect the data disks. I too am curious how to get it all back working. Best to see if you can get help over at https://zackreed.me/

Disconnecting the data drives is not necessary if reusing the existing system drive, which is how interpreted the OP's request. If I was the OP and replacing the motherboard with an identical item, the only thing I would be careful with is plugging the drives back into the same connectors they were in on the old board. May or may not matter, but it's easy enough to do this.

Disconnecting data drives is recommended if one is installing OMV from scratch, which is what you are doing. And as you are doing a fresh install, you will have to reconfigure everything by hand all over again from scratch. There is no way to import anything from the old install to make the new install be look like and behave the way the old install did. If you can grab a copy of the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file from the old install, you can use it for reference. But it sounds like that may not be possible in your case.

Have you tried anything to resurrect the failed OS drive?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Disconnecting the data drives is not necessary if reusing the existing system drive, which is how interpreted the OP's request. If I was the OP and replacing the motherboard with an identical item, the only thing I would be careful with is plugging the drives back into the same connectors they were in on the old board. May or may not matter, but it's easy enough to do this.
    Disconnecting data drives is recommended if one is installing OMV from scratch, which is what you are doing. And as you are doing a fresh install, you will have to reconfigure everything by hand all over again from scratch. There is no way to import anything from the old install to make the new install be look like and behave the way the old install did. If you can grab a copy of the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file from the old install, you can use it for reference. But it sounds like that may not be possible in your case.

Have you tried anything to resurrect the failed OS drive?

Yes, since I didn't backup the old SSD (OCZ Vector) I don't have a copy of the config.xml which is unfortunate and I should have known better.

As far as resurrecting, I have tried moving the drive to different computers (using SATA-to-USB adapters, enclosures, direct to mobo SATA etc.). It is not seen in the BIOS unfortunately. Since OCZ will not help, I am prepare to open it up to see if I can get the data out but cannot find anything on YouTube or tutorials online to even know how to begin. If you have been down this road and can offer some advise, I would greatly appreciate it.

• I would take the old failed drive to another linux machine and see if it can be mouted. A bootable linux live cd (or one set to boot and run from USB) would work if you have no other linux machine handy.

Or you could install OMV from scratch again to the new drive, but once the initial install is completed (and before you start the detailed configuration), see if you can install the old failed drive and see if it mounts there.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I would take the old failed drive to another linux machine and see if it can be mouted. A bootable linux live cd (or one set to boot and run from USB) would work if you have no other linux machine handy.

Yes, I believe I have tried these steps. Since it doesn't create a /dev/sd* device, it basically equates to not even having that failed drive plugged in. Perhaps I should toss it into a freezer or heat it with a heat-gun. I believe what it is called in boot lock or panic lock. The data is definitely on the chips, just not sure how to bypass the locked controller to get to it. Perhaps it might be possible if I had an identical drive to swap controller if that was possible but I do not and it would probably involve some really intricate soldering skills.

• Yep, If I plug it in via a SATA-USB3 adapter, this is as far as it gets:

• I have rebuilt my NAS and I use snapraid. I had a working system, and then changed the motherboard and boot drive. Also went from OMV 2 to 3. It went something like this:

• I took screenshots of all the OMV webgui pages so I had something to reference when configuring the new setup. (guess you can't do this if your system is fubar)
    • shutdown system, swapped hardware
    • popped out data drives (Mine are in a hot swap rack) and boot machine with debian 9 bootable live usb
    • Installed debian
    • installed omv 3. (i installed omv on top of debian because i'm using an NVME boot drive and uefi boot which doesn't work with the omv install image)
    • start reconfiguring OMV
    • pop in the data drives
    • continue reconfiguring OMV
    • configure snapraid

That should be pretty much it. I think snapraid is great. It's nice knowing all your data is there on those drives and easily accessible simply by mounting the drive.

• That should be pretty much it. I think snapraid is great. It's nice knowing all your data is there on those drives and easily accessible simply by mounting the drive.

Thanks this is really helpful. Were you able to determine which disks were which and those that contained the content parity files?

• Yes. My case holds 8 drives. I knew based on their physical location in the rack what the drives contained. I think I popped them in one at a time to see what they showed up as in OMV. Alternatively, you could always SSH into the box and do "ls /srv/sda" etc. to see what's what.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!