If using Docker in OMV with Flash Memory, is USB stick OS recommended?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Given that the flash memory plugin deals with OMV items and not really much with Docker (if any), would there be an issue still using a USB stick for OMV OS with Flash Memory plugin?

Docker is going to write in /var/lib/docker which is not protected by flashmemory (would use too much memory anyway). So, a usb stick is probably a bad idea and probably not big enough either.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Docker is going to write in /var/lib/docker which is not protected by flashmemory (would use too much memory anyway). So, a usb stick is probably a bad idea and probably not big enough either.

Alright, I'll use an SSD (Got an Enterprise Dell one which should hopefully not die on me like that pos OCZ Vector did).

BTW - any best practice on how docker images/container are to be backed up in the OMV echo-system?

• Offizieller Beitrag

ny best practice on how docker images/container are to be backed up in the OMV echo-system?

If you create docker volumes/bind mount for data that changes for each container that are on your data drives, then everything important should be backed up with your create data backup method.

If you are comfortable with linux, you could mount /var/lib/docker on a different drive in /etc/fstab. That would allow you to still use the usb stick if you wanted.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Does setting "The location of the Docker base path (this setting is optional and defaults to /var/lib/docker if unset)." to a data drive help here?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The location of the Docker base path (this setting is optional and defaults to /var/lib/docker if unset)." to a data drive help here?

It might but I think that location has to be executable which data drives are not. I will have to try. I honestly didn't remember that setting in the plugin but I don't use the plugin much.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Possible to do achieve the same with symlink?

Yep or using the field gderf mentioned that I didn't remember.

• It might but I think that location has to be executable which data drives are not. I will have to try. I honestly didn't remember that setting in the plugin but I don't use the plugin much.

My data drives are set noexec in fstab. I repointed /var/lib/docker to a data drive in the plugin and that wrote the following to fstab:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-d4/docker /var/lib/docker/openmediavault none bind,defaults 0 0

Seems to work OK here.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-d4/docker /var/lib/docker/openmediavault none bind,defaults 0 0

Seems to work OK here.

I should've looked at the code. That bind mount gets around the non-executable part.

• I would imagine that if I added noexec to that bind mount in fstab, things would stop working ;)

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would imagine that if I added noexec to that bind mount in fstab, things would stop working

I would guess that too.

• I'm stuck running OMV off of USB due to hardware restrictions. I'm sure there are also lots of people that would love to keep using their OS-USBs and have access to Docker at the same time.

Any chance you guys willing to take the time to turn this into a guide?

• I'm stuck running OMV off of USB due to hardware restrictions. I'm sure there are also lots of people that would love to keep using their OS-USBs and have access to Docker at the same time.

Any chance you guys willing to take the time to turn this into a guide?

What is preventing you from using Docker when running OMV from USB?

--

• I was looking reading up on OMV + Docker when I chanced upon this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of this thread a discussion about how it might not be a good idea to run Docker and have it write to USB stick?

Docker is going to write in /var/lib/docker which is not protected by flashmemory (would use too much memory anyway). So, a usb stick is probably a bad idea and probably not big enough either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of this thread a discussion about how it might not be a good idea to run Docker and have it write to USB stick?

It is a bad idea if your images/volumes/etc are stored on the usb stick but as gderf pointed out, you can change that location to a location that is not a usb stick which would mean it doesn't matter what OMV is installed on.

• It is a bad idea if your images/volumes/etc are stored on the usb stick but as gderf pointed out, you can change that location to a location that is not a usb stick which would mean it doesn't matter what OMV is installed on.

While I might vaguely understand the gist of what is being discussed, I do not however, have the know how to replicate the outcome. Hence, my request that maybe a guide could be made since I'm sure I won't be alone in finding one extremely helpful.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I might vaguely understand the gist of what is being discussed, I do not however, have the know how to replicate the outcome. Hence, my request that maybe a guide could be made since I'm sure I won't be alone in finding one extremely helpful.

Just select something other than "none" for the docker base path on the Settings tab.

• Installed Docker. Changed Docker base path in settings from none to a shared folder.
    This is what happened:

Error #0:

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'docker' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status docker.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(146): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false)
    #2 /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php(108): OMV\System\SystemCtl->start()
    #3 /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php(645): OMVModuleDockerUtil::startDockerService()
    #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(1205): OMVModuleDockerUtil::changeDockerSettings(Array, 42005, '/srv/0947acbb-f...')
    #5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->setSettings(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setSettings', Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'setSettings', Array, Array, 1)
    #9 {main}

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!