ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

• Hi!

Just installed my first OpenmediaVault box, and see something not right in the logfiles when booting, causing slow boots.

What I see repeatedly are messages like:
    ACPI _SDD failed (AE 0x5)
    ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
    ACPI: failed the second time, disabled
    ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong/could do to remedy/fix the issues?
    Are these HW compatibility issues, or kernel bugs?

Syslog snippet:

• Feels like a BIOS issue to me, but it is a fairly new motherboard. It is the Asus P8H77-I with the latest 1001 BIOS published 2013/03/11.

Guess I will file a ticket with Asus. Thanks for the input.

• You may have 1 bad sata cable... or bad port. There could be an IDE, AHCI conflict. I would detach an IDE devices and then make sure you have all SATA ports setup as AHCI. Then see if you get error.

• Already tried disconnecting all drives except the boot drive, same error. Changing to Legacy/IDE, Openmediavault no longer boots. Changing back to AHCI, and it boots again.

Will try swapping the SATA cable for the boot disk once the raid has synced (building right now), and also try a different SATA port.

Googling the error "COMRESET failed (errno=-16)" tells me it is most likely a BIOS issue:
    https://ask.fedoraproject.org/…-failed-error-at-startup/
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubu…a/+bug/150259/comments/27

• Asus responded with:

"I am afraid to say this board doesn't formally support the linux, so we can't ensure the compatibility.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Wonder if they will support Linux if I continue having issues with their MB..... ;)

So in other words, they gave me the middle finger, damn Micro$haft to have such a tight grip on HW...

This is why I wanted a Gigabyte MB, but they did not have a Mini ITX with 6 SATA ports...

• same problem on my sytem: reason, wrong Settings (power on ring=enabled)

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!