RAID-1 to RAID-5 or moving data

• Hi,

i'm currently using OMV 3.0 since a few month and i'm really happy with all it's features and configuration!

But now a new question came up to me. I'm using 2x6TB disk in a RAID-1, and all data is on these /dev/md1. My space was eaten up in the last 2 to 3 month by TV recordings and DVD ripps.

So i bought a third 6TB disk.

Which possibilities are now valid?
    1.) remove one disk from the RAID-1 and build a new degraded RAID-5 with two disk. Copy all Data / Shares manually from degraded RAID-1 to RAID-5. => Do i have a possibility via webinterface to do this by only "one click"?
    2.) migrate my RAID-1 to a RAID-5 via mdadm and grow on the console, but this RAID-5 is not the same as a real RADI-5,... And i have the risk of data loss because of the long time during migration.

Do someone have an other solution?

Thanks in advance,
    br
    Herbert

• Safer version is always 1.
    Degrade raid1 ,user two disk for RAID5 degraded and then fast copy. I dont think you can do this in GUI.

SAME ! It take time, but it wont screw your disk in case of errors

• Re,

Which possibilities are now valid?

Always use Backup ... then you are save! Especially while/when using R1 ...

Next is to use the switch "--backup-file=" and point it to an real HDD-directory (not tmpfs!!!), then you can migrate and grow in one step from R1 to R5!

but this RAID-5 is not the same as a real RADI-5

How do you get that? If you migrate from R1 to R5, mdadm will do a reordering, als well as all raid-controllers, so you'll have after finishing this process a "real" R5 ...

Sc0rp

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!