ZFS mountpoint full of folders

• Hello,

I'm testing OMV 4 with ZFS plugin. Yesterday I've started the updates over the WEBUI. One of these updates install a Linux kernel 4.14.

Later on the day I've recognized that my shared folders are empty. My ZFS-Pool is online and the pool is still 3.15 TB big.
    It look like, that the shared folders are not mounted on the pool.

I've no access to my data.

---
    Maybe is that the problem:

Status failed Service mountpoint_mnt_zfs

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 16:56:45
    Action: alert
    Host: omv
    Description: status failed (1) -- /mnt/zfs is not a mountpoint

---

The directory /mnt/zfs ist not empty. There are directorys of my shared folders in it. When I delete all this folders and mount the ZFS with "zfs mount -a" everything is fine.
    But after every reboot the error and the directorys are back.

Any service creates all the shared folders in die mountpoint directory.

I have to admit that I do not have enough Linux knowledge to come up with a solution. I do not want to damage the configuration.

Do you have suggestions? What information do you need for an assessment.

There is a system report attached.

Thanks.

Kind regards
    Oli

• Which zfs version (0.6x or 0.7x) do you have in use?

You can try to enable omv extras testing repo. @ryecoaaron manages latest zfs packages in that repo at least for the moment. Maybe this helps...

ZFS works as expected for me with latest omv4 and the zfs packages from the omv extras testing repo. Have a look at this post:

Is ZFS supported in Kernel 4.13?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• I've installed omv 3.0.x and upgraded to 4.0.x. 3.0.x was installed from iso.

The system over weeks like the prod system until the last update.

cat /etc/systemd/system/sharedfolders-Backups.mount

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah ok. The fix applied at Omv level doesn’t work very well probably.
    The fix is the line with After=zfs-mount.service

Unfortunately there is no way to disable this /sharedfolders units.

Do you need to reboot constantly ? If not and want to keep omv4 then avoid rebooting. Omv4 still on development, otherwise reinstall and go back to omv3. On this I am not sure if zfs will be backward compatible because maybe the version was upgraded.

@votdev I know this fix was exclusively for zfs. But wouldn’t it be better to ship a custom target to be run at the latest in boot and make those units start in that target, instead of adding explicitly After=Zfs-mount, or maybe add the option to customize the these units with env variables.

My guess is After= is not enough, maybe Requires= but that would make all units fail if there was no zfs

• boot.txt is attached.

ZFS-Pool:

• boot.txt is attached.

ZFS-Pool:

• Sorry, for the posts. I‘ve got everytime an error when I send my answer.

It‘s offtopic, but I also have this problem, if I use the WebInterface at my desktop/notebook to post something here in this forum...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still complaining mnt/zfs is not empty, so either zfs-mount is not finished when the /sharedfolders start or something is writing to those folders when shutting down or even keep writing after you delete them.

You can try one last thing, shutdown, boot another live distro, mount the rootfs disk and check the /mnt path is empty, if is empty means you’re gonna have to live with this issue while they try find a another solution.

What services use the pool?

• I think I have found the problem. After the last update I've tried to install docker, which a shared folder in the pool. My tests did not lead to the desired success, so that I uninstalled docker. In the list of services which used the shared folders was docker listed.

The last two days I tried a lot of way to solve the zfs mountpoint problem, but nothing works. After that I installed a new omv-system from fresh iso. Now everything works fine.

Nevertheless many thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!