DIY NAS - VPN Torrent Streaming Camera

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DIY NAS - VPN Torrent Streaming Camera

New

Dear members,

A time ago I wanted to buy the Synology DS918+ but it is to pricey without HDD. So I want to build one.

Requirements OS:
      - Light
      - Possible to put it on USB
      - RAID options
      - VPN - OpenVPN
      - Server to share media to the media player (without encoding)
      - Share files outside my NAS like Dropbox?
      - IP Camera option for 3 IP camera's
      - I have no a custom IP-Adress, I must use a DNS provider.

I have the following laying around:
      - Case
      - RAM: 4GB Non-Error Checking
      - USB Drive: Toshiba U301 32 GB

Some hardware to buy:
      - Motherboard: ASRock J4205-ITX
      - HDD: 2 or 4 HDD Disks

Is the hardware setup good for my needs?

Question of having two or four disks:
      Is there a difference between Raid 1 and Raid 10 performance for handling tasks on the NAS?
      Is there a difference between Raid 1 and Raid 10 performance in the GUI of the NAS?
      Is there a difference between Raid 1 and Raid 10 performance of sharing between the NAS and other devices at home?

I want OpenMediaVault, because of many possitive reviews on internet.

I want to put the OS on a USB, but the requirment is that it must have static wear leveling:
      If you use a Flash Drive, select one with static wear leveling[6], without it the drive will have a very short lifetime. It is also recommended to activate the Flash memory Plugin: (see Plug-ins) The entire disk is used as system disk. This disk can not be used to store user data.

I have a Toshiba U301 32 GB, is this good for this? Otherwise if this can't be uses, is there a list with USB'S to see which has this technique?

I want to have NO-IP, but how to configure it on the NAS? And if my Ip-adres changes what I must change on my NAS?

How to setup all my needs, every help is appreciated.
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest