Ridiculously Low Write speed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ridiculously Low Write speed

New

I set up OMV on my Raspberry Pi 3. I have a 500GB hdd and 16gb pendrive connected.
      When i try copying a file from or to the hdd or the pendrive, i get an average read/write speed of 400kbps.
      The max I've seen it go to is 1MBps. The drives are not slow because when i directly connect them to my pc i get 30-40MBps speeds.
      I'm testing speeds by copying movies to the nas.

Please help me figure out what do!

edit: restarting my router helped a bit. I'm getting around 1.5MBps now.
      Images
      • speed.PNG

13.45 kB, 513×364, viewed 23 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by the_nas_noob: more accurate data ().

• New

How fast do you think a RPi should be? It only has a 100mbps network adapter and it shares the usb bus with the hard drive. What image did you use?
      omv 4.0.16 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.14 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.2
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • New

the_nas_noob wrote:

/---/ The drives are not slow because when i directly connect them to my pc i get 30-40MBps speeds.I'm testing speeds by copying movies to the nas.

Please help me figure out what do!

**edit: restarting my router helped a bit. I'm getting around 1.5MBps now.
      **If you're looking for raw throughput speed, wireless is not the way to go.**

An R-PI costs around $35. If you think about it, its' performance is in line with what you paid for it.

On the other hand, you have the answer within your question. If you need 30-40MBS (or better) of drive throughput, install OMV on your PC. (Nearly any old PC, made in the last 10 years or so, would work and give you far better performance.)
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.94 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • New

the_nas_noob wrote:

I'm using everything wired.
      im using 3.0.88
      Setting R-PI performance aside, there are numerous factors involved in network bottlenecks. Age, settings, link speed, type of router/switches, competing traffic from other "chatty" network devices, etc. (Still, even consumer routers and switches should be able to handle "wire speed".)

The only item I can think of where OMV might be a factor would be if eth0 didn't negotiate speed and duplex correctly.

On the command line look at the output of ethtool eth0

(extraneous lines removed)

Source Code

1. Settings for eth0:
      2. Speed: 100Mb/s Duplex: Full
      3. Auto-negotiation: on
      4. Link detected: yes
      If you don't have (100 / Full) you could override auto-negotiation in Network, Interfaces, eth0, in the options box.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.94 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119