Weird behaviour with docker on omv4 on orange pi pc2

• OMV 4.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Since you can't test Arm stuff in a VM:

Get a 2nd O-PI too. (I have 2 R-PI's and 3 SDcards.) It's not that much of an investment and you'd have a hardware platform backup as well. With a 2nd O-pi and a cloned boot card, you could accurately test, well,, anything,,, with Zero risk to your working rig.

(Um,, sorry 'bout that... - the "conservative" persona gets out of hand from time to time. :) )

A last thing about downloading a newer Docker and testing it side by side with the old one:
      Docker images with the exact same name may "merge". Simply downloading it (the same name) may update the old image. Since you can't use a VM for testing - this is one of the reasons why I suggested a 2nd O-PI.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.99 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Well yea, thats a bit to much for my use case, im conservative too and im considering starting from scratch but now knowing what to install exactly and how (ergo doing a whole totally CLEAN install) and then do the full backup when its ready but getting a second board just for testing feels a bit to much lol

The full backup as i mention alleviate the problem of the merging images, in extreme cases i can roll back to the clean backup...your solution is perfect in fact, but the 2nd board ends in a drawer 99% of the time, feels like a waste, even if cheap...
    • I agree - having a solid cloned boot drive backup is good enough.
      (Hardware redundancy is a bit much for home use but that's the datacenter mentality talking. Old habits die hard.)

I have to say thou, I've learned something in this thread:
      O-PI PC2's seem to be a true value item with GB Ethernet to boot. I was shocked at the price. I'm going to look at comparative performance data and maybe pick up one or two. Now that I know they'll run Dockers, (thanks for that BTW) I can think of a couple uses for them.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Yea thats why i chose this one to be used as NAS, even if it have usb2.0 (giving me about 35-40MBs) its a lot better for a home use than any 100mbit wth board, and also 2 of the usb ports are HOST, no shared bandwidth with the eth either...ofc a better solution is an actual nas solution but this is so cheap that for home use is perfect...
      And i have 2 rpi3 here at home that the kids use to watch youtube and play some retro games, the opipc2 act as a server both for media as for the games lol
      Im also planning to buy an odroid xu4 in a not to distant future for the main tv, but thats another story, i love these small boards as you can see, and tinker with them too xD
    • So a last update about my situation, orange pi pc2 totally need aarch64 architecture dockers, EVERY docker i tested with a tag for aarch64 works perfectly, leaving this last comment here for any future opipc2 owner struggling with this ussue...
      The weird thing about this situation is that most armhf images i tested ran perfectly according to the docker ui, most dont even gave errors, but i was getting "connection refused" when i tried to connect to their web UIs instead of plainly not working...
      Cya and thanks for watching...
    • It's good that you're set and we both learned something in this.

I guess one would have to understand both architectures very well (armhf and aarch64), AND be able to get down in the weeds with Dockers, to explain the behavior. O-PI PC2's are supposed to be compatible with R-PI software... That has me wondering if R-PI's would use armhf or aarch64 Dockers? Regardless....

Since this is your thread:
      If you can, maybe you should insert orange pi pc2 and/or O-PI PC2 in the thread title. Also, it wouldn't hurt to add them as tags, along with the resolved tag. If someone comes looking, you might save them some grief.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • flmaxey wrote:

Since this is your thread:

If you can, maybe you should insert orange pi pc2 and/or O-PI PC2 in the thread title. Also, it wouldn't hurt to add them as tags, along with the resolved tag. If someone comes looking, you might save them some grief.
      Just saw your tags and title suggestion and did the corrections...also...im still having random problems and instability with dockers that include any form of MONO, apparently MONO is super unstable on aarch64 platforms, just so anyone else wanders in this topic with similar problems, probably they are gonna get fixed in the future when the h5 chipsets have better support...i think this is related but again im not not an expert so im not sure: mono arm64
      Going back to the first post some examples of mono based software that maybe someone will want to run on dockers: radarr, sonarr, jackett, emby.
      You can replace sonarr with sickbeard and maybe emby with some kodi-headless (since plex is not an option either)...
      Again thanks anyone for watching hopefully i save someone else with an opipc2 some time otherwise wasted searching and trying